Re: ASP and cPanel/WHM server

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2005
      Support wrote:
      > I am trying to get ASP working under my cPanel/WHM linux server. I've
      > installed Apache::ASP perl module via CPAN install and the module
      > install went ok without giving any errors. However when I run the test
      > asp file, it didn't work. When I check the server, I found out that
      > mod_perl is not installed yet.

      Honestly if you want to continue to work with your cPanel supported
      server, I would not mess with it, unless you are willing to do a lot
      of extra work.

      Now if this is an Apache 2 server, it may not be so bad to compile
      in mod_perl, and drop it in as a DSO and go from there. But would
      not do a Apache 1.3.x static type mod_perl compile with your cPanel
      server, just configuration headaches.

      > So, I tried to install mod_perl and fetch the latet mod_perl. Upon
      > installing of the mod_perl manually, it is asking for the src directory
      > of the apache and also asking for whether it can install httpd in that
      > src folder. I canceld the installation at this stage (only two questions
      > of the src location and whether it can install httpd in that src directory).

      For building & installing mod_perl, you should really direct questions
      to the mod_perl list. The INSTALL instructions for mod_perl 2 are pretty clear
      in the source download.

      > Please let me know how do I install mod_perl without affecting the
      > operations of the current cPanel/WHM and it's later update/upgrade
      > functions.

      Right, don't count on it.

      One thing to consider is setting up a server on a high port running mod_perl,
      and then doing a ProxyPass to it for certain URLs like /perl/ etc.

      Another thing to consider is using the asp-perl script in CGI mode to
      run Apache::ASP scripts. This does not require mod_perl but is much slower.
      For more on this topic, please see:
      http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html#Standalone%20Cbddd74cc