might be Off Topic...

  • D. L. Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2005
      I'm not sure if this is off topic because I'm not sure what is causing
      my problem - HTML, Apache::ASP, or what...

      I've been working on converting a personal site to XHTML 1.0 strict. The
      test page I'm using validates as XHTML 1.0 strict per the W3C validator.
      The problem I'm having is when submitting a form from that page.
      Although the browser is directed to the page listed in the "action"
      attribute, there is no data in QUERY_STRING. The form "method" attribute
      is set to "post", and REMOTE_METHOD shows that.

      In my global.asa file I have:

      sub Script_OnStart{
      $Form = $Request->Form;
      $Response->Include('header.inc');
      } # end Script_OnStart

      At the top of the page receiving the form input (display.asp) is the line:

      my @rssfeeds = keys %{$Form};

      I am using a similar line in another page on the site (receiving data
      from a different form) with no problems. It grabs the data submitted
      just fine.

      In the problem page, @rssfeeds is undefined after submitting data from
      its form page (index.asp).

      The test page is located at:

      http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/news/

      The source code for that page, and the display page, can be viewed at:

      http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/index.asp.txt
      http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/display.asp.txt

      Keep in mind this is not a final version of the site. ;)

      Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. I can't seem to
      figure it out.

      ~ D ~

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
        D. L. Fox wrote:
        > I'm not sure if this is off topic because I'm not sure what is causing
        > my problem - HTML, Apache::ASP, or what...
        >
        > I've been working on converting a personal site to XHTML 1.0 strict. The
        > test page I'm using validates as XHTML 1.0 strict per the W3C validator.
        > The problem I'm having is when submitting a form from that page.
        > Although the browser is directed to the page listed in the "action"
        > attribute, there is no data in QUERY_STRING. The form "method" attribute
        > is set to "post", and REMOTE_METHOD shows that.
        >
        > In my global.asa file I have:
        >
        > sub Script_OnStart{
        > $Form = $Request->Form;
        > $Response->Include('header.inc');
        > } # end Script_OnStart
        >
        > At the top of the page receiving the form input (display.asp) is the line:
        >
        > my @rssfeeds = keys %{$Form};
        >
        > I am using a similar line in another page on the site (receiving data
        > from a different form) with no problems. It grabs the data submitted
        > just fine.
        >
        > In the problem page, @rssfeeds is undefined after submitting data from
        > its form page (index.asp).
        >
        > The test page is located at:
        >
        > http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/news/
        >
        > The source code for that page, and the display page, can be viewed at:
        >
        > http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/index.asp.txt
        > http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/display.asp.txt
        >
        > Keep in mind this is not a final version of the site. ;)
        >
        > Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. I can't seem to
        > figure it out.

        Sorry, me neither.

        The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
        server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:

        $Form = Apache::ASP::Collection=HASH(0x956da20)
        CONTENT_LENGTH = 0
        CONTENT_TYPE = application/x-www-form-urlencoded
        MOD_PERL = mod_perl/1.99_09
        QUERY_STRING =
        REQUEST_METHOD = POST
        SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache

        So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
        fine to me.

        Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
        and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
        at this point.

      • D. L. Fox
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
          Joshua Chamas wrote:

          > The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
          > server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:

          I thought it might be something with Firefox so I tried it with IE,
          Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera all with the same results.

          > So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
          > fine to me.

          I wondered if the HTML might have something to do with it but it
          validates as strict per the W3C, so I'm not sure what to think.

          > Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
          > and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
          > at this point.

          I wish I had that option. This is a hosted site, unlike before when I
          normally ran things on my own stuff. I have been searching for another
          host provider anyway. I am no longer satisfied with my current one. They
          don't seem to stay up-to-date with their software, and they change
          things which will break your site without telling you.

          The main reason I chose this provider was because they had Apache::ASP.
          Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP. Is there a
          list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?

          I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
          it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
          MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
          use Apache::ASP and Perl.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
            Hi D.L.,

            just an idea - try to add a "name" attribute to the
            "input" elements instaed of / in addition to the
            "id" attributes.

            Helmut

            D. L. Fox schrieb:

            > Joshua Chamas wrote:
            >
            >> The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
            >> server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:
            >

            > I thought it might be something with Firefox so I tried it with IE,
            > Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera all with the same results.
            >
            >> So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
            >> fine to me.
            >

            > I wondered if the HTML might have something to do with it but it
            > validates as strict per the W3C, so I'm not sure what to think.
            >
            >> Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
            >> and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
            >> at this point.
            >

            > I wish I had that option. This is a hosted site, unlike before when I
            > normally ran things on my own stuff. I have been searching for another
            > host provider anyway. I am no longer satisfied with my current one.
            > They don't seem to stay up-to-date with their software, and they
            > change things which will break your site without telling you.
            >
            > The main reason I chose this provider was because they had
            > Apache::ASP. Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP.
            > Is there a list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?
            >
            > I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
            > it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
            > MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
            > use Apache::ASP and Perl.

          • D. L. Fox
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
              Bingo...we have a winner! That seems to have fixed the problem. Many
              thanks.

              Interestingly enough, when I switched to using a Select statement with
              options, as opposed to using checkboxes, I also had to name the select
              object. Just naming the options wasn't enough. Interesting.

              Thanks to all who took the time to look this one over. It really had me
              confused.

              Helmut Zeilinger wrote:
              > Hi D.L.,
              >
              > just an idea - try to add a "name" attribute to the
              > "input" elements instaed of / in addition to the
              > "id" attributes.
              >

              > Helmut

            • D. L. Fox
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
                Correction. The select element is all that needed the "name" attribute.
                The "name" attribute is not allowed for an option element (or form
                element) in XHTML strict. However, giving the select element a "name"
                attribute is acceptable, and was sufficient to fix the problem.

                I think I might use this as an experiment for other form elements as
                well, to see what other little quirks there may be in using forms while
                maintaining the XHTML strict standard.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
                  D. L. Fox wrote:

                  > The main reason I chose this provider was because they had Apache::ASP.
                  > Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP. Is there a
                  > list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?

                  You can check out:
                  http://www.apache-asp.org/support.html#COMMERCIAL

                  > I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
                  > it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
                  > MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
                  > use Apache::ASP and Perl.

                  yep, you might also try searches on "mod_perl apache asp hosting"

                  And lastly you could try running in standalone CGI mode with full
                  mod_perl support, but could be tricky to set up in a home directory,
                  but I think possible.