ASP and cPanel/WHM server

  • Support
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4 10:41 PM
      I am trying to get ASP working under my cPanel/WHM linux server. I've installed Apache::ASP perl module via CPAN install and the module install went ok without giving any errors. However when I run the test asp file, it didn't work. When I check the server, I found out that mod_perl is not installed yet.

      So, I tried to install mod_perl and fetch the latet mod_perl. Upon installing of the mod_perl manually, it is asking for the src directory of the apache and also asking for whether it can install httpd in that src folder. I canceld the installation at this stage (only two questions of the src location and whether it can install httpd in that src directory).

      Please let me know how do I install mod_perl without affecting the operations of the current cPanel/WHM and it's later update/upgrade functions.

      Thanks in advance.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24 4:37 PM
        Support wrote:
        > I am trying to get ASP working under my cPanel/WHM linux server. I've
        > installed Apache::ASP perl module via CPAN install and the module
        > install went ok without giving any errors. However when I run the test
        > asp file, it didn't work. When I check the server, I found out that
        > mod_perl is not installed yet.

        Honestly if you want to continue to work with your cPanel supported
        server, I would not mess with it, unless you are willing to do a lot
        of extra work.

        Now if this is an Apache 2 server, it may not be so bad to compile
        in mod_perl, and drop it in as a DSO and go from there. But would
        not do a Apache 1.3.x static type mod_perl compile with your cPanel
        server, just configuration headaches.

        > So, I tried to install mod_perl and fetch the latet mod_perl. Upon
        > installing of the mod_perl manually, it is asking for the src directory
        > of the apache and also asking for whether it can install httpd in that
        > src folder. I canceld the installation at this stage (only two questions
        > of the src location and whether it can install httpd in that src directory).

        For building & installing mod_perl, you should really direct questions
        to the mod_perl list. The INSTALL instructions for mod_perl 2 are pretty clear
        in the source download.

        > Please let me know how do I install mod_perl without affecting the
        > operations of the current cPanel/WHM and it's later update/upgrade
        > functions.

        Right, don't count on it.

        One thing to consider is setting up a server on a high port running mod_perl,
        and then doing a ProxyPass to it for certain URLs like /perl/ etc.

        Another thing to consider is using the asp-perl script in CGI mode to
        run Apache::ASP scripts. This does not require mod_perl but is much slower.
        For more on this topic, please see:
        http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html#Standalone%20Cbddd74cc