Re: Problem with PDF files

    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2005
      Jonathan Dixon wrote:
      > I am running a website where I want to control access to the various files. I have the directory setup in httpd.conf with:
      >
      > This works well for the .doc, .css, .html, and .asp files, but the pdf files always crash with an error along the lines of:
      > [error] error compiling blah.pdf: Unrecognized character \\xF9 at (eval 37) line 265. <--> , /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Apache/ASP.pm line 1462
      >
      > In fact, even if I change the global.asa script to die at the beginning of Script_OnStart, I still get the same error for PDF files (unlike the other file types, where I get the error from the die command). This indicates to me that the PDF file is getting processed somehow differently from the other file types.
      >
      > What am I overlooking here? How do I get my site to follow the global.asa directives for the PDF file just the same as it does for the DOC files?

      The others gave you great work arounds. If you really had to make this work, you might
      try using the Script_OnParse event instead of Script_OnStart. Script_OnStart occurs
      after the script has been compiled, but just before execution. With Script_OnParse,
      you might rewrite the script to do something like a read/binary write of the file
      you are dealing with.