Re: Perl DBI with Apache ASP

  • Skylos
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2005
      Should make sure you have enough simultaneous sessions capable on the
      DB to handle all the possible connections. Like, if you're using
      prefork, as many connections as there are processes. Make sure you
      disconnect when done even when doing errors and such.

      Skylos

      On 5/19/05, Trevor Cushen <Trevor.Cushen@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > I am working on an apache asp page that has a mysql database at the backend.
      > The problem I have is that the code does work but sometimes the error
      >
      > # Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value
      > appears and my page fails.
      >
      > I know the code I have works because it runs several times then fails. I
      > have also established that the error is because the connection to the
      > database failed.
      >
      > The database is on the same system so network errors are not the problem.
      >
      > The following is the code
      >
      > my $price="";
      > 5: my $product="";
      > 6: my $ID="";
      > 7:
      > 8: if ($Request->Params('par'))
      > 9: {
      > 10: $par=$Request->Params('par');
      > 11: }
      > 12: else
      > 13: {
      > 14: $Response->Redirect('test.asp');
      > 15: }
      > 16:
      > 17: $price=$Request->Params('price');
      > 18: $product=$Request->Params('Product');
      > 19: $ID=$Session->{'user'};
      > 20:
      > 21: $DBH=DBI->connect($dsn,$user,$pwd);
      > 22:
      > 23: $sth=$DBH->prepare("Insert into
      > wishlist(sessionID,product,price,pnumber,pcode,name) values
      > ('$ID','$product','$price','not-set','$par','not-set')" );
      >
      > 24:
      > 25:
      > 26: $sth->execute();
      > 27:
      > 28: $sth->finish;
      > 29: $DBH->disconnect;
      > 30:
      > 31: $Response->Redirect("test.asp?par=$par");
      > 32:
      >
      > The DBI-connect parameters are setup in the global.asa file. I had the
      > connect statement in there too but I would get more refreshes and successful
      > runs when it was in here then in the global.asa. It seems to be
      > intermittent for some reason.
      >
      > Again the code does do what it is supposed to most of the time but sometimes
      > fails with the above error.
      >
      > Can anyone help me on this.
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > Trevor Cushen
      > Sysnet Ltd
      >
      > Telephone: 01-2983000
    • Helmut Zeilinger
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2005
        Hi,

        what does DBI::errstr say ?

        E.g.

        $DBH=DBI->connect($dsn,$user,$pwd);
        print DBI::errstr;

        # prevent the script from dying in the subsequent $dbh->execute();
        $Response->End();

        By the way:

        - I would not use a global variable $DBH rather than a private "my
        $DBH".
        What happens, if a second script (in another apache child) is
        calling "$DBH->execute" just after in the first script
        "$DBH-disconnect()" was done?

        Helmut