Application Variable not getting created

  • sangeethvs
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm trying to move an existing application in Perl and Postgres
      to a
      new server with Oracle as database. I have installed the necessary
      modules (I think so) but I'm getting errors while running the
      application. The programming is done in object oriented Perl and
      unfortunately I have no experience in object oriented Perl.

      But what I have come to understand is that, when the application
      starts an application variable is created and further actions in the
      applications are based on the value in this variable. It looks like
      that this application variable is not getting created and this is
      causing the errors I'm facing. I also verified it by printing
      the
      contents of the application variable. Nothing gets printed.

      The contents of global.asa file are given below.

      use lib ".";
      use lib "/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6";

      use Checklist::Users;

      sub Script_OnStart {
      use lib "./lib";
      }

      sub Session_OnStart {
      # THIS IS FOR THE GRAPH STUFF
      my $ID = $Session->{SessionID};
      my $DIR = "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/images/graphs";
      system("mkdir $DIR/$ID");
      $Session->{WriteGraphDir} = "$DIR";
      $Session->{SRCGraphDir} = "/images/graphs";
      &Application_OnStart();
      }

      sub Session_OnEnd {
      # THIS IS FOR THE GRAPH STUFF
      my $ID = $Session->{SessionID};
      system ("rm -rf /usr/local/apache/htdocs/images/graphs/$ID") if
      ($ID);
      }

      sub Application_OnStart {
      # Load up the users
      my $users = new Checklist::Users();
      $Application->{'ChecklistWeb::UsersObj'} = $users;
      }

      sub Application_OnEnd {
      $Application->{'ChecklistWeb::UsersObj'} = undef;

      The configuration section of httpd.conf is given below

      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
      AllowOverride All
      Allow from all
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlModule Apache::DBI
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
      PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 120
      PerlSetVar StateManager 60
      PerlSetVar StateDB DB_File
      PerlSetVar Global /usr/local/apache/htdocs
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/WebData
      PerlSetVar Debug 2
      </Files>

      PerlSetVar Global .
      PerlSetVar GlobalPackage Apache::ASP::Demo
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
      PerlSetVar StatINC 0
      PerlSetVar StatINCMatch 0
      PerlSetVar Clean 0
      PerlSetVar DynamicIncludes 1
      PerlSetVar FileUploadMax 500000
      PerlSetVar FileUploadTemp 1
      PerlSetVar SessionQueryParse 0
      PerlSetVar SessionQuery 1
      PerlSetVar Debug -3
      PerlSetVar StateCache 0
      PerlSetVar SessionCount 1
      PerlSetVar TimeHiRes 1
      PerlSetVar CompressGzip 0
      PerlSetVar UseStrict 1

      Following are the Perl modules that I have installed
      · CGI
      · DBI
      · DBD::Oracle
      · Bundle::Apache::ASP
      · Apache::DBI
      · DB_File
      · GD (2.23)
      · GD::Text
      · GD::Graph
      · FreezeThaw

      The output of perl –V is
      Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 6) configuration:
      Platform:
      osname=solaris, osvers=2.8, archname=sun4-solaris
      uname='sunos parker 5.8 generic_117350-07 sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-
      4 '
      config_args='-de'
      usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
      usemultiplicity=undef
      useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
      use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
      usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
      Compiler:
      cc='gcc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -
      I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
      optimize='-O',
      cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include'
      ccversion='', gccversion='3.3.2', gccosandvers='solaris2.8'
      intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
      d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define,
      longdblsize=16
      ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
      Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
      alignbytes=8, prototype=define
      Linker and Libraries:
      ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
      libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
      libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
      perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
      libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
      gnulibc_version=''
      Dynamic Linking:
      dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
      cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

      Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
      Built under solaris
      Compiled at Mar 21 2005 23:54:20
      @INC:
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/sun4-solaris
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/sun4-solaris
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
      .

      Could anyone please let me know what could be the problem? Please
      let me know if you need any further information from me.

      I also notice another problem with .asp files. When I run an .asp
      file for the first time in a new browser, I get the following error.

      Errors Output
      , /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Apache/ASP.pm line 1518

      Debug Output
      , /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Apache/ASP.pm line 1518

      But when I reload the application, I don't receive this error.
      Any
      thoughts on this?

      Thanks in advance,
      Sangeeth

    • Helmut Zeilinger
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2005
        Hi sangeethvs,

        just to make things less complicated - does it work when
        you call

        $Application->{'ChecklistWeb::UsersObj'} = $users;
        print ref ($Application->{'ChecklistWeb::UsersObj'});
        $Application->{'ChecklistWeb::UsersObj'} = undef;

        in ONE test (asp) script?

        Helmut

        HZ.labs
        Dr. Helmut Zeilinger
        Wiesengrund 2
        D-86 684 Holzheim
        Tel 08276/58767
        Fax. 08276/´58787
        Mobil 0160 91 55 61 68
        Internet http://www.hzlabs.de
        Mail hz@...

      • Helmut Zeilinger
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2005
          Hi,

          that's is what one was expecting.. good ..

          The next things i would do:

          - is global.asa really been executed? Test it with a "print" or "die" in it

          - if ok, try to add a "Script_OnStart" Handler, that calls
          Session_OnStart() to enshure,
          that it is called at each page reload..

          Question: In your httpd.conf you set several Perl Variables twice - e.g.
          Global -
          Is there a special reason for you to do this outside of the "<Files ~
          (\.asp)>" - scope ?

          If not, "unify" theese entries an place it inside the <Files > scope.

          Helmut

        • Sangeeth V S
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2005
            Hi,

            Thanks very much for trying to help me out! I really appreciate it.

            > - is global.asa really been executed? Test it with a "print" or "die" in
            it

            > - if ok, try to add a "Script_OnStart" Handler, that calls
            > Session_OnStart() to enshure,
            > that it is called at each page reload..

            I think global.asa is being executed. Few session variables are being
            created in Session_OnStart. I printed the session variables and these are
            being created. Isn't that enough to confirm that global.asa is getting
            executed?

            > Question: In your httpd.conf you set several Perl Variables twice - e.g.
            > Global -
            > Is there a special reason for you to do this outside of the "<Files ~
            > (\.asp)>" - scope ?
            >
            > If not, "unify" theese entries an place it inside the <Files > scope.

            I really didn't know why it was set like that. I am migrating this
            application to a new server. So I just copied the exact settings in the
            current server to the new server. I was also very confused in seeing these
            settings. But there's no documentation for this application and no one to
            ask regarding this.

            Thanks,
            Sangeeth