migrating asp, .net application from IIS to apache

  • nsm100
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      I have an application done using ASP, .NET using IIS Web server. The
      customer wants to migrate the application to Apache server. Whats the
      best option which involves less time in migrating to the Apache ?
      Please help.

      Manoj

    • John Drago
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2005
        Since it's in ASP.NET, you may benefit from the Linux version of .NET,
        "Mono".

        Learn more at http://www.mono-project.com/

        Apache::ASP is a Perl module to allow the Apache webserver to serve ASP
        pages written in Perl. There is no C#-to-Perl converter written.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2005
          Apache::ASP

          You can pretty much directly translate the ASP object model calls and
          program logic into Perl.

          I've done this for two sizable sites personally.

          Skylos

          On 5/3/05, nsm100 <nsmanoj@...> wrote:
          > I have an application done using ASP, .NET using IIS Web server. The
          > customer wants to migrate the application to Apache server. Whats the
          > best option which involves less time in migrating to the Apache ?
          > Please help.
          >
          > Manoj

        • Warren Young
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2005
            nsm100 wrote:

            > I have an application done using ASP, .NET using IIS Web server. The
            > customer wants to migrate the application to Apache server. Whats the
            > best option which involves less time in migrating to the Apache ?

            ChiliSoft or some other such commercial thing, if your time is not free.
            Apache::ASP uses an entirely different programming language (Perl, not
            VB), though the programming model is the same.

            This is covered in the documentation on apache-asp.org.

          • John Drago
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2005
              For "classic" (i.e. VBScript) ASP, sure. It follows the
              model-view-controller paradigm and could be ported to Perl just fine.

              For ASP.NET, there is no mod_perl+Apache converter. There is simply no
              Perl equivalent at this time. A Perl/Apache-based ASP.NET replacement
              would require mountains of work, but would be really nice once it was
              completed.

              Fortunately there already exists the Mono ASP.NET FAQ:
              http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_ASP.NET