Re: Problem with PDF files

  • Marko Friedemann
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2005
      Jonathan Dixon wrote:

      >> This declares *.pdf files as being ASP files. Apache::ASP is
      >> trying to interpret them directly!
      >>
      >> What you want to do cannot be accomplished with this mechanism.
      >> Try looking at the various Apache modules.
      >
      > I understand that this forces the PDF files to be handled through
      > Apache::ASP. But shouldn't the Script_OnStart section in the
      > global.asa file short-circuit the processing of the file itself and
      > send it out as a straight binary file? This is what seems to happen
      > for the Word files in the directory that are treated the same way.
      >
      > Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for modules to look at that
      > can check for a valid ASP session before allowing access to files on
      > the server?

      I would attempt this a bit differently. Instead of referencing the file
      directly and inject the code voodoo-like, how about you use a dedicated
      download script, hide it behind a plain name of download with the
      handler settings and then use $PATHINFO to get to the requested file,
      which can then be located elsewhere, too.

      This is how this would look for the user:
      http://foo.bar/download/file.ext

      where download is the name for your download script which then gets
      "file.ext" (or "/file.ext", I am unsure right now) as $PATHINFO which
      you can then use to retrieve the file from the real location to which
      you can apply more restrictive access rights, too, as additional benefit.

      regards,
      Marko

      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2005
        Jonathan Dixon wrote:
        > I am running a website where I want to control access to the various files. I have the directory setup in httpd.conf with:
        >
        > This works well for the .doc, .css, .html, and .asp files, but the pdf files always crash with an error along the lines of:
        > [error] error compiling blah.pdf: Unrecognized character \\xF9 at (eval 37) line 265. <--> , /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Apache/ASP.pm line 1462
        >
        > In fact, even if I change the global.asa script to die at the beginning of Script_OnStart, I still get the same error for PDF files (unlike the other file types, where I get the error from the die command). This indicates to me that the PDF file is getting processed somehow differently from the other file types.
        >
        > What am I overlooking here? How do I get my site to follow the global.asa directives for the PDF file just the same as it does for the DOC files?

        The others gave you great work arounds. If you really had to make this work, you might
        try using the Script_OnParse event instead of Script_OnStart. Script_OnStart occurs
        after the script has been compiled, but just before execution. With Script_OnParse,
        you might rewrite the script to do something like a read/binary write of the file
        you are dealing with.