Can't locate object method "log_error" via package "Apache::RequestRec"

  • Patrick Conroy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
      Hello All,

      I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
      Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
      latest Apache::ASP. A couple of days ago I tried setting up
      Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server. The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
      so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
      installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN. On the new server
      getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
      pages. In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:

      Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
      "Apache::RequestRec" at
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
      line 1709.

      I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
      how to resolve this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Patrick

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
        On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Patrick Conroy wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
        > Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
        > latest Apache::ASP. A couple of days ago I tried setting up
        > Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server. The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
        > so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
        > installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN. On the new server
        > getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
        > pages. In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:
        >
        > Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
        > "Apache::RequestRec" at
        > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
        > line 1709.
        >
        > I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
        > how to resolve this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Patrick

        Does inserting
        use Apache::Log;
        in ASP.pm resolve this?

        --
        best regards,
        randy kobes

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004
          Patrick Conroy wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
          > Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
          > latest Apache::ASP. A couple of days ago I tried setting up
          > Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server. The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
          > so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
          > installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN. On the new server
          > getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
          > pages. In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:
          >
          > Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
          > "Apache::RequestRec" at
          > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
          > line 1709.
          >
          > I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
          > how to resolve this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

          I am not sure what would cause this problem. It seems pretty late
          in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error. Does
          it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?

          PerlModule Apache
          PerlModule Apache2
          PerlModule Apache::compat

          Try these if Randy's earlier suggestion of Apache::Log does not work.
          If Randy's suggestion of "use Apache::Log" does work, or PerlModule Apache::Log
          then I wonder what does adding this to your httpd.conf add to your error_log:

          <Perl>
          print STDERR "$mod_perl::VERSION -- $ENV{MOD_PERL}\n\n";
          </Perl>

          since Apache::ASP is supposed to load Apache::Log based on these values.

        • Patrick Conroy
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004
            > I am not sure what would cause this problem. It seems pretty late
            > in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error. Does
            > it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?
            >
            > PerlModule Apache
            > PerlModule Apache2
            > PerlModule Apache::compat

            Josh,

            Thanks for the help. I didn't realize until I got this that I had
            only replied to Randy directly instead of back to the list. I was
            able to fix the original problem by reinstalling mod_perl. However,
            just the other day, I was trying out some of the other features of
            Apache::ASP and when I attempted to use $Server->MapPath("/"), I got
            the error:

            Can't locate object method "lookup_uri" via package "Apache::RequestRec" ...

            The really wierd part about this is that this was on the FC2 box that
            had been working smoothly all along. Anyway, to make a short story
            long, I tried your suggestion and PerlModule Apache caused a 500
            error. I apparantly don't have it installed on this box, and I don't
            know if I need to. However, removing that one module and leaving the
            other two in did fix the problem. Thank you for your help.

            Patrick

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2004
              Quoting Patrick Conroy <patrick.j.conroy@...>:

              > > I am not sure what would cause this problem. It seems pretty late
              > > in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error. Does
              > > it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?
              > >
              > > PerlModule Apache
              > > PerlModule Apache2
              > > PerlModule Apache::compat
              >
              > Josh,
              >
              > Thanks for the help. I didn't realize until I got this that I had
              > only replied to Randy directly instead of back to the list. I was
              > able to fix the original problem by reinstalling mod_perl. However,
              > just the other day, I was trying out some of the other features of
              > Apache::ASP and when I attempted to use $Server->MapPath("/"), I got
              > the error:
              >
              > Can't locate object method "lookup_uri" via package "Apache::RequestRec" ...

              If you can tell me whether it is Apache::compat or Apache2
              that did it for you, that would be helpful.