file upload status bar (a la yahoo attachment status bar)

  • V.I.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
      Hi,

      Using CGI I was able to display the upload status as
      the files were being uploaded by reading raw post data
      from STDIN, writing it to a temp file, and then
      reopening the temp file on STDIN.

      It seems to me it is not possible to do so using
      ASP since the files uploaded in temp files
      automatically once asp page starts and invokes cgi
      module.

      Please, tell me would be my best options to
      display the upload status as the files are being
      uploaded

      Thanks,

      Val Imsh

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
        V.I. wrote:

        > Please, tell me would be my best options to
        > display the upload status as the files are being
        > uploaded

        We ended up writing a Windows uploader that worked outside the HTTP
        stream. This works in our situation because we have tight control of
        the clients, we are uploading huge files that could cause problems with
        the CGI upload method anyway, and we have a custom server program
        running alongside Apache anyway.

        Another option we looked at are any of several Java-based upload
        mechanisms. These work, but none of them was better than our custom
        uploader for our purposes.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
          Hi List,

          I have a rather huge ASP application (a portal engine). Recently, I have
          seen some of the pages slowing down _very_ much.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2004
            V.I. wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Using CGI I was able to display the upload status as
            > the files were being uploaded by reading raw post data
            > from STDIN, writing it to a temp file, and then
            > reopening the temp file on STDIN.
            >
            > It seems to me it is not possible to do so using
            > ASP since the files uploaded in temp files
            > automatically once asp page starts and invokes cgi
            > module.

            I do not know what kind of status you mean, but it seems
            like it would be possible for the browser to popup a
            status window/popup which then gets closes by the next
            page when the file upload completes?