Re: beginner question - porting from ASP/IIS to Apache::ASP

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
      Dave Goodwin wrote:
      > The reason I was investigating using Apache::ASP is that I was led to
      > believe that I could take ASP pages from a Win2k / IIS server and put
      > them on our Unix-based Apache web server. However, looking at the errors
      > in the error_log of the web server when I try unsuccessfully to bring up
      > one of these pages copied from the IIS server, it seems like the
      > scripting in the Apache::ASP page must be written in Perl... that's also
      > what I am starting to believe from the terse info available on the Intro
      > page at http://www.apache-asp.org/
      >
      > So my question is, what does Apache::ASP actually have to do with the
      > ASP code for IIS? Anything at all?

      I apologize for the confusion on this issue. Active Server Pages was
      originally defined as an object + events model for web applications,
      with scripting languages possible being VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, ...
      What I did was port the IIS/PerlScript implementation to Apache under mod_perl
      for performance, scalability & security.

      Unfortunately, over time people ended up equating Active Server Pages
      to mean VBScripted pages, so this has been a point of confusion for many
      who did not otherwise know better. I try to explain this clearly in
      the first line of introducing Apache::ASP, and do not think I can do
      more than that.

    • Shang, Cynthia
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 13, 2004
        There will always be tweeking when moving between platforms. Write your ASP code with perlscript as the serverside code and you'll have a lot less tweeking to do.
        -Cynthia

        On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Dave Goodwin wrote:
        > First, I have been able to get Apache::ASP installed and working on my
        > server, and sample code works.

        Good good.

        > The reason I was investigating using Apache::ASP is that I was led to believe
        > that I could take ASP pages from a Win2k / IIS server and put them on our
        > Unix-based Apache web server. However, looking at the errors in the error_log
        > of the web server when I try unsuccessfully to bring up one of these pages
        > copied from the IIS server, it seems like the scripting in the Apache::ASP
        > page must be written in Perl... that's also what I am starting to believe
        > from the terse info available on the Intro page at http://www.apache-asp.org/

        You're correct.

        > So my question is, what does Apache::ASP actually have to do with the ASP
        > code for IIS? Anything at all?

        You can write Perl-based ASP which is portable between Windows and
        UNIX/Linux. I'm not sure whether the Windows side requires Apache or is
        compatible with IIS.

        > If I am barking up the wrong tree to try making these ASP / IIS scripts
        > work here, is there a tool or library other than Apache::ASP that would
        > be able to make these scripts work on an Apache web server?

        Not that I'm aware of. I guess porting to something portable is out of
        the quesiton? Running an IIS-based web server may be popular, but its
        really not a good idea.**

        It sounds like you've let Microsoft lock you in. That makes Microsoft
        money and costs you money.

        > Thanks in advance for your time, sorry to ask a question this basic. :-)

        Its nice to have some easy questions so that I can help out and give an
        answer. :)

        ** Our Windows boxes are purely game machines. Desktops and servers are
        all Linux now. Our servers have been all Linux for a long time. We have
        run desktop and server Windows in the past though and I support folks who
        are doing both still, so I'm speaking from experience -- whether its
        relevant to you is up to you.

        --
        </chris>

        Westheimer's Discovery:
        "A coupla months in the laboratory can save a coupla hours in the library."