Re: beginner question - porting from ASP/IIS to Apache::ASP

  • Dave Goodwin
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
      Thanks Chris and Fagyal,

      To be clear, I'm inheriting the old IIS scripts to try and move onto
      the Unix Apache server so that the Windows web server can be
      decommissioned.

      Since we're not looking to spend money on this other than man-hours, I
      guess I'll be looking at trying to port the IIS scripts to PHP by hand
      (since I don't speak Perl).

      Thanks again for the time.

      -Dave

    • Christopher Hicks
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
        On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Dave Goodwin wrote:
        > Thanks Chris and Fagyal,

        Gladly.

        > To be clear, I'm inheriting the old IIS scripts to try and move onto the Unix
        > Apache server so that the Windows web server can be decommissioned.

        Some inheritance!

        > Since we're not looking to spend money on this other than man-hours, I guess
        > I'll be looking at trying to port the IIS scripts to PHP by hand (since I
        > don't speak Perl).

        If you know PHP, learning Perl is a pretty short putt, but its a far
        better programming langauge IMNSHO. We started using Apache::ASP to have
        a PHP-like environment that didn't require PHP. I've stuck with it
        because its powerful enough to let you define your own tags and we were
        able to build out a poorly speced site in miraculous time. I've worked in
        dozens of different langauges/environments for doing web development and
        Apache::ASP is one of the few that don't cause me to say "ok, I get it,
        but there's got to be a better way". That's not to say its perfect, but
        its definitely mighty fine. (I had avoided looking at it because of my
        anti-ASP bias. I'm glad somebody poked me into getting past that.)

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
          Christopher Hicks wrote:

          > able to build out a poorly speced site in miraculous time. I've worked
          > in dozens of different langauges/environments for doing web development
          > and Apache::ASP is one of the few that don't cause me to say "ok, I get
          > it, but there's got to be a better way". That's not to say its perfect,
          > but its definitely mighty fine. (I had avoided looking at it because of
          > my anti-ASP bias. I'm glad somebody poked me into getting past that.)

          I love the praise for the environment, but am wondering in what ways
          could you see it improved?

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
            Dave Goodwin wrote:
            > The reason I was investigating using Apache::ASP is that I was led to
            > believe that I could take ASP pages from a Win2k / IIS server and put
            > them on our Unix-based Apache web server. However, looking at the errors
            > in the error_log of the web server when I try unsuccessfully to bring up
            > one of these pages copied from the IIS server, it seems like the
            > scripting in the Apache::ASP page must be written in Perl... that's also
            > what I am starting to believe from the terse info available on the Intro
            > page at http://www.apache-asp.org/
            >
            > So my question is, what does Apache::ASP actually have to do with the
            > ASP code for IIS? Anything at all?

            I apologize for the confusion on this issue. Active Server Pages was
            originally defined as an object + events model for web applications,
            with scripting languages possible being VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, ...
            What I did was port the IIS/PerlScript implementation to Apache under mod_perl
            for performance, scalability & security.

            Unfortunately, over time people ended up equating Active Server Pages
            to mean VBScripted pages, so this has been a point of confusion for many
            who did not otherwise know better. I try to explain this clearly in
            the first line of introducing Apache::ASP, and do not think I can do
            more than that.

          • Shang, Cynthia
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2004
              There will always be tweeking when moving between platforms. Write your ASP code with perlscript as the serverside code and you'll have a lot less tweeking to do.
              -Cynthia