Re: Looking for some information

  • Sergio Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hi:

      Apache::ASP is the perl active pages version running on an apache server
      with the module loaded/compiled. The asp code you have must belong to the
      ASP version of IIS microsoft. Those source codes are not compatible (or at
      least not until you do a little bit of work trying to translate one into
      another). There is a different module for Apache from the mod_perl (the
      module name of Apache::ASP) that runs Microsoft ASP code, but I saw it only
      in linux enviroments. Maybe you can try windows 200X IIS suite.

      hth

      >I have a windows xp home edition machine with apache as the
      >webserver. I would like to run ASP on it.
      >Is Apache::ASP a 3 party software?
      >What does perl have to do with this? I would like to use vbscript.
      >Will it allow me to run asp with apache?
      >Will this product interfere with the version of apache I have?
      >Do I have to install another version of apache or can I use the
      >apache I have on my system? Any other information would be helpfull
      >
      >Thanks

      Sergio Alejandro Gonzalez
      Director Operativo
      Network and Services Field Manager
      SkyNet de Colombia.
      Calle 100 No. 8A-55 Of. 711
      Bogota, Cundinamarca
      Colombia, South America.
      Tel: 57 (+1) 6 422 020
      Cel: 57 (+3)/(03315) 3551034
      Pager: 5405555, 3469999 Cod 2010

    • John Drago
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hi,

        Apache::ASP is a perl module that allows the Apache webserver to server ASP
        (active server pages).
        ASP pages written for Apache::ASP are all written in Perl, not VBScript.
        However, Perl is generally a much more powerful and general-purpose language
        than VBScript is, so you do get a good trade-off there.
        Apache webserver runs on Windows and Linux (among others).

        Since you're using Windows XP Home Edition, you can't use Microsoft's IIS
        webserver, because it only runs on WinXP Pro.

        If you already have Apache webserver running on your computer, to get
        Apache::ASP installed you must first install Perl.
        I use and recommend ActiveState's ActivePerl
        http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ .
        If you haven't got mod_perl installed (an extension for Apache webserver to
        make Perl scripts faster and more powerful) you'll have to install that too.
        Take a look at http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Build%20Apache0292e216
        for instructions on how to do that.
        Once you've installed Perl, open up a command prompt and type "ppm install
        Apache-ASP" (without the quotes).
        You will also need to configure your Apache's httpd.conf file to route
        requests for "*.asp" files to Apache::ASP.
        Check out http://www.apache-asp.org/config.html for instructions on how this
        works.

        That's a lot to get you started.