Looking for some information

  • webpa19468
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      I have a windows xp home edition machine with apache as the
      webserver. I would like to run ASP on it.
      Is Apache::ASP a 3 party software?
      What does perl have to do with this? I would like to use vbscript.
      Will it allow me to run asp with apache?
      Will this product interfere with the version of apache I have?
      Do I have to install another version of apache or can I use the
      apache I have on my system? Any other information would be helpfull

      Thanks

    • Sergio Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hi:

        Apache::ASP is the perl active pages version running on an apache server
        with the module loaded/compiled. The asp code you have must belong to the
        ASP version of IIS microsoft. Those source codes are not compatible (or at
        least not until you do a little bit of work trying to translate one into
        another). There is a different module for Apache from the mod_perl (the
        module name of Apache::ASP) that runs Microsoft ASP code, but I saw it only
        in linux enviroments. Maybe you can try windows 200X IIS suite.

        hth

        >I have a windows xp home edition machine with apache as the
        >webserver. I would like to run ASP on it.
        >Is Apache::ASP a 3 party software?
        >What does perl have to do with this? I would like to use vbscript.
        >Will it allow me to run asp with apache?
        >Will this product interfere with the version of apache I have?
        >Do I have to install another version of apache or can I use the
        >apache I have on my system? Any other information would be helpfull
        >
        >Thanks

        Sergio Alejandro Gonzalez
        Director Operativo
        Network and Services Field Manager
        SkyNet de Colombia.
        Calle 100 No. 8A-55 Of. 711
        Bogota, Cundinamarca
        Colombia, South America.
        Tel: 57 (+1) 6 422 020
        Cel: 57 (+3)/(03315) 3551034
        Pager: 5405555, 3469999 Cod 2010

      • John Drago
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hi,

          Apache::ASP is a perl module that allows the Apache webserver to server ASP
          (active server pages).
          ASP pages written for Apache::ASP are all written in Perl, not VBScript.
          However, Perl is generally a much more powerful and general-purpose language
          than VBScript is, so you do get a good trade-off there.
          Apache webserver runs on Windows and Linux (among others).

          Since you're using Windows XP Home Edition, you can't use Microsoft's IIS
          webserver, because it only runs on WinXP Pro.

          If you already have Apache webserver running on your computer, to get
          Apache::ASP installed you must first install Perl.
          I use and recommend ActiveState's ActivePerl
          http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ .
          If you haven't got mod_perl installed (an extension for Apache webserver to
          make Perl scripts faster and more powerful) you'll have to install that too.
          Take a look at http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Build%20Apache0292e216
          for instructions on how to do that.
          Once you've installed Perl, open up a command prompt and type "ppm install
          Apache-ASP" (without the quotes).
          You will also need to configure your Apache's httpd.conf file to route
          requests for "*.asp" files to Apache::ASP.
          Check out http://www.apache-asp.org/config.html for instructions on how this
          works.

          That's a lot to get you started.