Re: Load.pm patch

  • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
      Joshua Chamas wrote:

      >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
      >

      >>Hi list.
      >>
      >>Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
      >>via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
      >>Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
      >>directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
      >>Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
      >>for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
      >>``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
      >>dirs the compiler should ommit.
      >>
      >>I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
      >>please look into it if you're interested.
      >>

      >It does seem useful. My work around before has been to programmatically call
      >Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully. Can
      >this approach work for you without adding this config? Otherwise let me

      It could, but I'm probably too lazy to do it like that :)
      You see, the directory structure I have is like this:
      htdocs/
      domain1
      domain2
      images/lots_of_images
      irrelavant_files/lots_of_html
      domain N
      etc, so I feed the Loader the directive to compile all asp's in
      /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/, which all more or less have some scripts to
      compile in them.
      Problem is, they also have directories I wouldn't want the Loader to
      spend time looking in.
      So instead of repeating the directive N times, I thought of this. I'm
      sure all of us can live without it, but it did cut 40 secs out of the 3
      minutes it takes to recompile all the scripts by just listing 3
      directories in there.

      >consider your patch when I get back from vacation. I would think another name
      >like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
      >solution as well.

      I suppose ``ExcludeDirs'' is a better name...
      OTOH, if you want to avoid another configuration directive, it isn't
      really a problem.
      Have a nice vacation !

      Regards,
      Thanos Chatziathanassiou

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
        Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

        > Joshua Chamas wrote:
        >
        >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
        >>
        >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
        >> programmatically call
        >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
        >> fully. Can
        >> this approach work for you without adding this config?

        Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
        with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
        root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
          Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:

          > Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
          >
          > > Joshua Chamas wrote:
          > >
          > >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
          > >>
          > >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
          > >> programmatically call
          > >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
          > >> fully. Can
          > >> this approach work for you without adding this config?
          > >>

          > Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
          > with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
          > root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

          What about doing something like:

          for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
          Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
          }

          Since files can be loaded as well as directories?

        • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
            Joshua Chamas wrote:

            >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
            >

            >>Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

            >>Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
            >>with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
            >>root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...
            >>

            >What about doing something like:
            >
            >for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
            > Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
            >}
            >
            >Since files can be loaded as well as directories?
            >
            >--Josh

            I see your point, if we have to list directories anyhow, why not list
            the ones Load() will have to dive into ?
            I kind of like the idea of Load() descending into subdirectories unless
            told otherwise, since e.g. our graphics team can copy & paste a contact
            form and the relavant .asp file into a client's new subdirectory, edit
            the presentational aspect and actually expect it to work. Plus I think a
            new-ish user will appreciate the convinience.

            It's not that I have given it very much thought, more of an idea than
            anything else...