Re: Load.pm patch

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:

      > Hi list.
      >
      > Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
      > via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
      > Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
      > directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
      > Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
      > for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
      > ``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
      > dirs the compiler should ommit.
      >
      > I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
      > please look into it if you're interested.

      It does seem useful. My work around before has been to programmatically call
      Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully. Can
      this approach work for you without adding this config? Otherwise let me
      consider your patch when I get back from vacation. I would think another name
      like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
      solution as well.

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
        Joshua Chamas wrote:

        >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
        >

        >>Hi list.
        >>
        >>Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
        >>via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
        >>Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
        >>directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
        >>Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
        >>for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
        >>``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
        >>dirs the compiler should ommit.
        >>
        >>I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
        >>please look into it if you're interested.
        >>

        >It does seem useful. My work around before has been to programmatically call
        >Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully. Can
        >this approach work for you without adding this config? Otherwise let me

        It could, but I'm probably too lazy to do it like that :)
        You see, the directory structure I have is like this:
        htdocs/
        domain1
        domain2
        images/lots_of_images
        irrelavant_files/lots_of_html
        domain N
        etc, so I feed the Loader the directive to compile all asp's in
        /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/, which all more or less have some scripts to
        compile in them.
        Problem is, they also have directories I wouldn't want the Loader to
        spend time looking in.
        So instead of repeating the directive N times, I thought of this. I'm
        sure all of us can live without it, but it did cut 40 secs out of the 3
        minutes it takes to recompile all the scripts by just listing 3
        directories in there.

        >consider your patch when I get back from vacation. I would think another name
        >like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
        >solution as well.

        I suppose ``ExcludeDirs'' is a better name...
        OTOH, if you want to avoid another configuration directive, it isn't
        really a problem.
        Have a nice vacation !

        Regards,
        Thanos Chatziathanassiou

      • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
          Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

          > Joshua Chamas wrote:
          >
          >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
          >>
          >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
          >> programmatically call
          >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
          >> fully. Can
          >> this approach work for you without adding this config?

          Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
          with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
          root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
            Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:

            > Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
            >
            > > Joshua Chamas wrote:
            > >
            > >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
            > >>
            > >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
            > >> programmatically call
            > >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
            > >> fully. Can
            > >> this approach work for you without adding this config?
            > >>

            > Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
            > with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
            > root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

            What about doing something like:

            for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
            Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
            }

            Since files can be loaded as well as directories?

          • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
              Joshua Chamas wrote:

              >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
              >

              >>Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

              >>Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
              >>with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
              >>root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...
              >>

              >What about doing something like:
              >
              >for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
              > Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
              >}
              >
              >Since files can be loaded as well as directories?
              >
              >--Josh

              I see your point, if we have to list directories anyhow, why not list
              the ones Load() will have to dive into ?
              I kind of like the idea of Load() descending into subdirectories unless
              told otherwise, since e.g. our graphics team can copy & paste a contact
              form and the relavant .asp file into a client's new subdirectory, edit
              the presentational aspect and actually expect it to work. Plus I think a
              new-ish user will appreciate the convinience.

              It's not that I have given it very much thought, more of an idea than
              anything else...