Re: View contents of loaded global.asa

  • Warren Young
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15 11:54 AM
      Nicholas Schuetz wrote:
      > Does anyone know how I can view the contents of the global.asa loaded durring
      > runtime.

      That would be chasing the symptom, not the cause.

      Instead, convince yourself directly that the global.asa you think is
      running is in fact being compiled. Add something like this to
      Script_OnStart:

      print STDERR "Oooga booga\n";

      > When I reference check_db_connection () from one of my asp files I get an
      > undefined sub routine error.

      You could say this instead of the above for more info:

      print STDERR "Oooga booga ", ref &\check_db_connection, "\n";

      It should say "Oooga booga CODE".

    • Nicholas Schuetz
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17 8:50 AM
        Thanks for the reply, Warren. I have already taken this aproach. I know the
        global.asa I am working with is in fact the one being compiled. One very
        important point I need to bring up is that I have UniquePackages 1 set. If I
        unset this my app works fine. This exact configuration use to work in v2.19
        Apache::ASP. I am now using the latest stable version 2.57. Even when
        UniquePackages 1 is set.

        I have tried explicitly naming the GlobalPackage to Apache::ASP::TYPHOON.
        When I try to use Apache::ASP::TYPHOON it says it can not find this package.
        Therefore I can't use my custom subroutine(s). Shouldn't this package be
        compiling during runtime? Shouldn't it be appending that packages PATH to
        @INC? Should I be putting my UniquePackaged sub routines in a file other
        than the VirtualHost specific Global/global.asa PATH/file?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19 7:39 AM
          OK I finally figured it out. All I needed to do is specify:

          package Apache::ASP::TYPHOON;

          in all source files I want to use my custom subroutines in global.asa.

          Thanks,

          Nick

          Quoting Nicholas Schuetz <nick@...>:

          > Thanks for the reply, Warren. I have already taken this aproach. I know the
          > global.asa I am working with is in fact the one being compiled. One very
          > important point I need to bring up is that I have UniquePackages 1 set. If I
          > unset this my app works fine. This exact configuration use to work in v2.19
          > Apache::ASP. I am now using the latest stable version 2.57. Even when
          > UniquePackages 1 is set.
          >
          > I have tried explicitly naming the GlobalPackage to Apache::ASP::TYPHOON.
          > When I try to use Apache::ASP::TYPHOON it says it can not find this package.
          > Therefore I can't use my custom subroutine(s). Shouldn't this package be
          > compiling during runtime? Shouldn't it be appending that packages PATH to
          > @INC? Should I be putting my UniquePackaged sub routines in a file other
          > than the VirtualHost specific Global/global.asa PATH/file?
          >
          > Quoting Warren Young <warren@...>:
          >
          > > Nicholas Schuetz wrote:
          > > > Does anyone know how I can view the contents of the global.asa
          > > > loaded
          > > durring
          > > > runtime.
          > >
          > > That would be chasing the symptom, not the cause.
          > >
          > > Instead, convince yourself directly that the global.asa you think is
          > > running is in fact being compiled. Add something like this to
          > > Script_OnStart:
          > >
          > > print STDERR "Oooga booga\n";
          > >
          > > > When I reference check_db_connection () from one of my asp files I
          > > > get an undefined sub routine error.
          > >
          > > You could say this instead of the above for more info:
          > >
          > > print STDERR "Oooga booga ", ref &\check_db_connection, "\n";
          > >
          > > It should say "Oooga booga CODE".

          ----- End forwarded message -----

        • Nicholas Schuetz
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19 5:30 PM
            OK one more thing, I was reading through the Apache::ASP documentation
            trying to figure out where I went a stray and here is where I think I got
            confused. This is the description for GlobalPackages:

            GlobalPackage

            Perl package namespace that all scripts, includes, & global.asa events are
            compiled into. By default, GlobalPackage is some obscure name that is
            uniquely generated from the file path of the Global directory, and
            global.asa file. The use of explicitly naming the GlobalPackage is to allow
            scripts access to globals and subs defined in a perl module that is included
            with commands like:

            in perl script: use Some::Package;
            in apache conf: PerlModule Some::Package

            PerlSetVar GlobalPackage Some::Package

            I think the line that reads, "in perl script: use Some::Package;" should be:

            in perl script: package Some::Package;

            Also, I never had to set the PerlModule Apache::ASP::TYPHOON directive in my
            apache conf. I just set the GlobalPackage to Apache::ASP::TYPHOON, defined
            my subroutines in global.asa (the global.asa was also in my Global path) and
            set the package Apache::ASP::TYPHOON; line in my scripts.

            Am I doing this all wrong or does this list agree that the documentation is
            misleading or incorrect?

            --Nick

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20 3:55 AM
              Quoting Nicholas Schuetz <nick@...>:

              > OK one more thing, I was reading through the Apache::ASP documentation
              > trying to figure out where I went a stray and here is where I think I got
              > confused. This is the description for GlobalPackages:
              > Also, I never had to set the PerlModule Apache::ASP::TYPHOON directive in my
              > apache conf. I just set the GlobalPackage to Apache::ASP::TYPHOON, defined
              > my subroutines in global.asa (the global.asa was also in my Global path) and
              > set the package Apache::ASP::TYPHOON; line in my scripts.
              >
              > Am I doing this all wrong or does this list agree that the documentation is
              > misleading or incorrect?

              Hi Nick,

              I think you have it right that the documentation needs some revising. What you
              do *not* need to do is set "package Apache::ASP::TYPHOON" in your scripts,
              since this happens automatically when GlobalPackage is used.

              Also, don't ever use the Apache::ASP::* namespace itself. Better in your case
              to just use the name TYPHOON for the module name.

              But let's look at the motivation for naming the GlobalPackage namespace for your
              Apache::ASP application. Perhaps you want to reference a subroutine defined in
              your global.asa from another module like &TYPHOON::sub(), or perhaps you want
              to have an actual TYPHOON.pm module that you can load via "use TYPHOON;" whose
              subroutines you can then access directly from your scripts.

              It is possible that in your case that you do not even need to use the
              GlobalPackage setting, and you might try running your application without it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20 6:02 AM
                Quoting Nicholas Schuetz <nick@...>:

                > Thanks for the reply, Warren. I have already taken this aproach. I know the
                > global.asa I am working with is in fact the one being compiled. One very
                > important point I need to bring up is that I have UniquePackages 1 set. If I
                > unset this my app works fine. This exact configuration use to work in v2.19
                > Apache::ASP. I am now using the latest stable version 2.57. Even when
                > UniquePackages 1 is set.

                If you are using UniquePackages set to 1 then you are trying to have all the
                scripts compiled into separate packages explicitly, so then to import
                subroutines from another module namespace, I would recommend using Perl's
                standard method for this, like:

                use Module qw(routine);

                see perldoc Exporter.

                Also you might try having includes that act as subs, since that is what they
                are, so that you can do this:

                $Response->Include('check_db_connection');

                or you could use XMLSubs have it a tag like:

                <typhoon:check_db_connection />

                that maps into the typhoon:: module namespace, the latter which you could define
                in typhoon.pm with the correct XMLSubsMatch setting.

              • John Drago
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 20 8:12 AM
                  Some clarification on Perl's "use" semantics may be necessary.

                  "use SomeModule;" expects to find "SomeModule.pm" on your disc in your @INC.
                  If it can't find it, then you have a problem.

                  You may want to re-read perlmod
                  http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlmod.html and take another look at
                  perlfunc, especially "use"
                  http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/func/use.html

                  GlobalPackage just makes your ASP pages all part of the same package, which
                  you specify.

                  -- John Drago