Load.pm patch

  • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2004
      Hi list.

      Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
      via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
      Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
      directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
      Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
      for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
      ``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
      dirs the compiler should ommit.

      I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
      please look into it if you're interested.

      Regards,
      Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:

        > Hi list.
        >
        > Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
        > via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
        > Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
        > directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
        > Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
        > for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
        > ``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
        > dirs the compiler should ommit.
        >
        > I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
        > please look into it if you're interested.

        It does seem useful. My work around before has been to programmatically call
        Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully. Can
        this approach work for you without adding this config? Otherwise let me
        consider your patch when I get back from vacation. I would think another name
        like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
        solution as well.

      • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
          Joshua Chamas wrote:

          >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
          >

          >>Hi list.
          >>
          >>Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
          >>via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
          >>Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
          >>directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
          >>Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
          >>for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
          >>``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
          >>dirs the compiler should ommit.
          >>
          >>I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
          >>please look into it if you're interested.
          >>

          >It does seem useful. My work around before has been to programmatically call
          >Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully. Can
          >this approach work for you without adding this config? Otherwise let me

          It could, but I'm probably too lazy to do it like that :)
          You see, the directory structure I have is like this:
          htdocs/
          domain1
          domain2
          images/lots_of_images
          irrelavant_files/lots_of_html
          domain N
          etc, so I feed the Loader the directive to compile all asp's in
          /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/, which all more or less have some scripts to
          compile in them.
          Problem is, they also have directories I wouldn't want the Loader to
          spend time looking in.
          So instead of repeating the directive N times, I thought of this. I'm
          sure all of us can live without it, but it did cut 40 secs out of the 3
          minutes it takes to recompile all the scripts by just listing 3
          directories in there.

          >consider your patch when I get back from vacation. I would think another name
          >like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
          >solution as well.

          I suppose ``ExcludeDirs'' is a better name...
          OTOH, if you want to avoid another configuration directive, it isn't
          really a problem.
          Have a nice vacation !

          Regards,
          Thanos Chatziathanassiou

        • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
            Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

            > Joshua Chamas wrote:
            >
            >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
            >>
            >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
            >> programmatically call
            >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
            >> fully. Can
            >> this approach work for you without adding this config?

            Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
            with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
            root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
              Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:

              > Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
              >
              > > Joshua Chamas wrote:
              > >
              > >> Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
              > >>
              > >> It does seem useful. My work around before has been to
              > >> programmatically call
              > >> Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read
              > >> fully. Can
              > >> this approach work for you without adding this config?
              > >>

              > Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
              > with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
              > root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...

              What about doing something like:

              for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
              Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
              }

              Since files can be loaded as well as directories?

            • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
                Joshua Chamas wrote:

                >Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
                >

                >>Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

                >>Actually, now that I come to think of it, it won't work: there are sites
                >>with a number of scripts in their root directory and a subdirectory of
                >>root filled up with other stuff, so these cannot be selectively added...
                >>

                >What about doing something like:
                >
                >for my $file_or_dir (glob(qw(/path/to/root/*.asp)), /path/to/other) {
                > Apache::ASP->Load($file_or_dir, '.*', %config);
                >}
                >
                >Since files can be loaded as well as directories?
                >
                >--Josh

                I see your point, if we have to list directories anyhow, why not list
                the ones Load() will have to dive into ?
                I kind of like the idea of Load() descending into subdirectories unless
                told otherwise, since e.g. our graphics team can copy & paste a contact
                form and the relavant .asp file into a client's new subdirectory, edit
                the presentational aspect and actually expect it to work. Plus I think a
                new-ish user will appreciate the convinience.

                It's not that I have given it very much thought, more of an idea than
                anything else...