[bug?] include mechanism

  • Marko Friedemann
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hi list,

      I started playing around with Apache::ASP the other day and encountered
      a rather strange way of dealing with includes.

      Let's say I have the following situation:

      1 (folder)
      +-- A (file)
      +-- 2 (folder)
      +-- B (file)
      +-- C (file)

      Let's also say we let:
      A include B and
      B include C

      While we naturally use '#include file="2/B"' to include B from A, we
      also naturally use '#include file="C"' to include C from B.
      The problem is that this fails because it searches C in 1 rather than 2
      due to the include simply not being aware of the fact that it was
      basically called from within 2.
      Calling B directly works, because ASP is then aware of being run in 2
      and finds C accordingly.

      While I personally consider this a bug, or a flaw at least, I would like
      to hear the opinion of you guys.

      regards,
      Marko Friedemann
      --
      www.bmx-chemnitz.de -==- 20 Zoll in Chemnitz
      mfr@...

    • Marko Friedemann
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2004
        Joshua Chamas schrieb:

        > Quoting Marko Friedemann <mfr@...>:
        >
        >>While we naturally use '#include file="2/B"' to include B from A, we
        >>also naturally use '#include file="C"' to include C from B.
        >>The problem is that this fails because it searches C in 1 rather than 2
        >>due to the include simply not being aware of the fact that it was
        >>basically called from within 2.
        >>Calling B directly works, because ASP is then aware of being run in 2
        >>and finds C accordingly.
        >>
        >>While I personally consider this a bug, or a flaw at least, I would like
        >>to hear the opinion of you guys.
        >
        > This is simply how it works, that the base directory includes are done from is
        > first the directory of the executing script, followed by the Global directory
        > and then any IncludesDir specified. This is really because the first directory
        > searched is '.' and there has already been a chdir to that base directory of
        > the executing script.

        Well, yes. This IS how it works. The question is wether it is actually
        SUPPOSED to be that way and wether there is any security or whatever
        other reason for it to be so.
        I did say that I consider this a flaw, because it is not what you
        usually want to do.

        regards,
        Marko

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2004
          John Drago schrieb:

          > Take a look at the documentation here:
          > http://www.apache-asp.org/ssi.html

          Doh, yeah, I actually read this page before. It wasn't, however,
          immediately brought to my attention when I tried the virtual include.
          I'll try to add SSI and see what it does.

          regards,
          Marko

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2004
            Quoting Marko Friedemann <mfr@...>:
            > Well, yes. This IS how it works. The question is wether it is actually
            > SUPPOSED to be that way and wether there is any security or whatever
            > other reason for it to be so.
            > I did say that I consider this a flaw, because it is not what you
            > usually want to do.

            Yes, it is supposed to work that way. Currently the context of includes does in
            no way override the context of the base executing script. This is supposed to
            be that way. I have never wanted to relatively change the include path to the
            context of an included include, and I am not convinced that this is what one
            usually wants to do, but I do understand the point you are making. The fact is
            that when things have been working the way they have been for 5 years, there
            needs to be a compelling reason to change things.