RE: .NET-style components and development

  • John Drago
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm not too excited about Mono because I can't use perl with it :) (C#
      is a fine language, but I want to stick with perl.)

      What I want is simple enough to explain (I think) so I'll give it a
      shot.

      Right now with XMLSubs, we can do the following:

      [asp.pm]
      package asp;

      sub listbox
      {
      my ($args, $html) = @_;
      print qq{<select id="$args->{id}">html</select>};
      }# end listbox()

      [listbox.asp]
      <asp:listbox id="list1">
      <option selected>Select One</option>
      <option value="1">Blue</option>
      <option value="2">Red</option>
      </asp:listbox>

      What I want to do would look something like so:
      [listbox.asp]

      <asp:listbox id="list1">
      <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
      </asp:listbox>

      <%
      # Dynamically add items to the list before it's rendered:
      $Page->list1->Items->add(
      asp::listitem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" ) );
      $Page->list1->Items->add(
      asp::listitem->new( Value => "2", Text => "Red" ) );

      # or, iterate through items within the listbox:
      foreach my $item ( $Page->list1->Items )
      {
      if( $item->Value == 1 )
      {
      $item->Text = "Blue [this is my favorite...isn't it yours?]";
      }# end if()
      }# end foreach()

      %>

      Something tells me that this isn't too far away from what we already
      have with Apache::ASP...that with some extra methods inherited from a
      package subclassed by asp::listbox and asp::listitem, it is 100%
      possible.

      I would need some help with where to bless the $Page object into the
      namespace the ASP pages are executed in.

      While I see great value in the current XMLSubs framework, I see this as
      the next logical step.

      There are some things about the ASP.NET model I don't like, and some I
      do.

      Apache::ASP does *almost* everything I want it to do, and this kind of
      extension would make it a lot more powerful in my opinion.

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2004
        John Drago wrote:

        > What I want to do would look something like so:
        > [listbox.asp]
        >
        > <asp:listbox id="list1">
        > <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
        > </asp:listbox>
        >
        > <%
        > # Dynamically add items to the list before it's rendered:
        > $Page->list1->Items->add(
        > asp::listitem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" ) );
        > $Page->list1->Items->add(
        > asp::listitem->new( Value => "2", Text => "Red" ) );
        >
        > # or, iterate through items within the listbox:
        > foreach my $item ( $Page->list1->Items )
        > {
        > if( $item->Value == 1 )
        > {
        > $item->Text = "Blue [this is my favorite...isn't it yours?]";
        > }# end if()
        > }# end foreach()
        >
        > %>
        >
        > Something tells me that this isn't too far away from what we already
        > have with Apache::ASP...that with some extra methods inherited from a
        > package subclassed by asp::listbox and asp::listitem, it is 100%
        > possible.
        >
        > I would need some help with where to bless the $Page object into the
        > namespace the ASP pages are executed in.

        If you set up a $List object in global.asa, it will be seen in includes
        and scripts, but not in the scope of the XMLSubs packages. So you might
        create it in the main package to reference from like this:

        # global.asa
        use vars qw($List);
        sub Script_OnStart {
        $List = $main::List = List->new();
        }
        sub Script_OnEnd {
        $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
        $List = $main::List = undef;
        }

        Then in the script, you can:

        <%
        $List->->add('list1',
        ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
        );
        %>

        And then you can:

        <asp:listbox id="list1">
        <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
        </asp:listbox>

        And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem properly,
        looking at the $main::List object.

        If you really want to build objects through code though, you might check
        out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly this. Output
        from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.

        > Apache::ASP does *almost* everything I want it to do, and this kind of
        > extension would make it a lot more powerful in my opinion.

        What is the extension in particular that you are looking for?
        Is there something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you
        like in ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
        features of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?

        Josh Chamas, Founder | NodeWorks - http://www.nodeworks.com
        Chamas Enterprises Inc. | NodeWorks Directory - http://dir.nodeworks.com
        http://www.chamas.com | Apache::ASP - http://www.apache-asp.org

      • John Drago
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 17, 2004
          If anyone is interested,
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with the
          System.Web.UI namespace.

          My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the desired
          functionality. By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place in a
          perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
          already available within perl.

          I figure we would need to emulate the functionality of: System.Web.UI
          (as a base class, and defining certain constants).

          o System.Web.UI.Control (base class, inherited by all default and
          custom controls).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.ControlCollection (this functionality could be rolled
          into System.Web.UI.Control).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlCollectionClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler & IPostBackEventHandler
          (inheritable interface that allows controls to handle how their postback
          data is handled).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIIPostBackDataHandlerClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.Page (represents an .aspx file, and is used as a base
          class when creating a web forms class in codebehind mode).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.PageParser (parses .aspx files).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageParserClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.TemplateBuilder (supports the PageParser in building a
          template and the child controls it contains).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.TemplateControl (inheritable base class. Provides the
          Page class and UserControl class a base set of functionality).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.UserControl (represents an .ascx file which implements
          and/or extends the TemplateControl class to produce some functionality
          or html).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          o System.Web.UI.UserControlControlBuilder (Does a recursive descent
          into the sub-controls contained within a UserControl, building them as
          it goes, so that UserControls can contain other controls inside them).
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
          tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlControlBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

          Let me make myself clear. I do not want to duplicate the entire ASP.NET
          thing in perl. I merely wish to skim the good stuff off the top and
          move along. In fact, there's more I dislike about ASP.NET than there is
          I *do* like about it. However, I recognize some things there that could
          save me loads of time on a large-scale project.

          Mason has some similar functionality with its *.mas components
          http://www.masonbook.com/book/chapter-1.mhtml#TOC-ANCHOR-3 but lacks the
          PostBack way of dealing with round-trip forms (as with server-side form
          validation). It also lacks the built-in ability to do things like
          append listitems to a <select> tag.

          John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
          E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
          office
          ::
           303.790.7940 x25
          email
          ::
           jdrago@...

          E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 8 10:02 PM
            John Drago wrote:
            > If anyone is interested,
            > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            > tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with the
            > System.Web.UI namespace.
            >
            > My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the desired
            > functionality. By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place in a
            > perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
            > already available within perl.

            Sorry I have not gotten back to you on this yet. I wanted to give the
            .Net stuff a good read first before I started an informed discussion
            with you about this, which I still have not done :( . I would like to
            extend the Apache::ASP framework to be able to handle extensions that
            can fully replicate the .NET taglibs, and I understand that the XMLSubs
            falls well short of that. I am not sure about other aspects of the
            newer objects architecture, but there may be a place for those also.

            To help focus the discussion, it may be useful to know exactly what
            feature(s) would be useful for you to begin work on as a shorter term goal.
            It seemed like the dynamic list boxes was a place you wanted to start
            at, but more input here would be good.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9 6:52 AM
              Hi Josh,

              In a nutshell, I want to be able to define a reusable component (*.ascx)
              and associate the display-layer of that component (*.ascx) with a
              package (*.pm) that defines its function separately. This way I could
              have a "Button" component that is used in 10 different places, and they
              all do different things. This also allows for component inheritance
              (BlueButton extends Button).

              The second feature is to have the ability to reference instances of
              these components from within the perl code, at runtime, and access
              methods defined in their package (*.pm).

              For instance:

              [asp code]
              <asp:label id="label1" runat="server" />
              <%
              $label1->{text} = "This would be nice!";
              %>

              [ Which outputs ]

              In the case of things like listboxes, they could expose their "items" as
              a public array, or follow the asp.net way of using a public method to
              adjust the items within an instance of the component.

              [in package System::Web::UI::ListBox ]

              use base qw/ System::Web::UI::Component /;
              sub addItem
              {
              my ($s,$item) = @_;
              push @{$s->{items}}, $item;
              }# end addItem()

              # This method overrides the same in System::Web::UI::Component:
              sub renderComponent
              {
              my $s = shift;
              my $str = q{<select name="$s->{id}" >\n};
              $str .= "\t<option value="$_->{value}">$_->{text}</option>\n"
              foreach @{$s->{items}};
              $str .= q{</select>};
              return $str;
              }# end renderComponent()

              Let me know if this is more clear.

              Thanks!
              John Drago

              | > |
              | > | # global.asa
              | > | use vars qw($List);
              | > | sub Script_OnStart {
              | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
              | > | }
              | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
              | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
              | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
              | > | }
              | > |
              | > | Then in the script, you can:
              | > |
              | > | <%
              | > | $List->->add('list1',
              | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
              | > | );
              | > | %>
              | > |
              | > | And then you can:
              | > |
              | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
              | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
              | > | </asp:listbox>
              | > |
              | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
              | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
              | > |
              | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
              | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
              this.

              | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
              | > |
              | > |
              | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
              there

              | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
              in
              | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
              features
              | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
              | > |
              | > | Regards,
              | > |
              | > | Josh
              | > |
              | > |

              | > | Josh Chamas, Founder | NodeWorks - http://www.nodeworks.com
              | > | Chamas Enterprises Inc. | NodeWorks Directory -
              | > http://dir.nodeworks.com
              | > | http://www.chamas.com | Apache::ASP - http://www.apache-asp.org
              | > |
              | > |
              | > |
              | > |
              | > |
              | > For additional commands, e-mail: asp-help@...

            • John Drago
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9 7:18 AM
                Here's more.

                If I have a component BlueButton.ascx which extends Button.ascx, I
                should be able to do something like this within BlueButton.ascx:

                [inside BlueButton.ascx]
                <asp:Button id="$s->{id}" style="background-color: blue;" runat="server"
                />
                We could also have other components within *.ascx files. For instance:
                <asp:Label id="theLabel" style="color: red;" runat="server" />
                <% $theLabel->{text} = q{Here's some "Text" for "theLabel"}; %>

                This page shows an example of this in ASP.NET:
                http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
                tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

                Thanks,
                John Drago

                | > |
                | > | # global.asa
                | > | use vars qw($List);
                | > | sub Script_OnStart {
                | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
                | > | }
                | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
                | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
                | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
                | > | }
                | > |
                | > | Then in the script, you can:
                | > |
                | > | <%
                | > | $List->->add('list1',
                | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
                | > | );
                | > | %>
                | > |
                | > | And then you can:
                | > |
                | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
                | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
                | > | </asp:listbox>
                | > |
                | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
                | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
                | > |
                | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
                | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
                this.

                | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
                | > |
                | > |
                | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
                there

                | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
                in
                | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
                features
                | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
                | > |
                | > | Regards,
                | > |
                | > | Josh
                | > |
                | > |

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9 6:02 PM
                  Is anyone working on W3C xform implementation within Apache::ASP?

                  Thanks, Craig

                • Craig Dayton
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 13 9:26 PM
                    Hi John,

                    >Are you looking for an object-oriented way to generate the XML to represent
                    Xforms?

                    Yes, basically. Ideally, it would be implementation similar to
                    www.formsplayer.com and would play nicely with Apache2, mod_perl &
                    Apache::ASP or any other Apache templating solution.

                    -Craig

                    CPAN and searching "Xform" I found this:
                    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=xform&mode=all . Still doesn't help
                    much, as it appears to be tied to X11::Xforms.

                    Are you looking for an object-oriented way to generate the XML to represent
                    Xforms?

                    John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
                    E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
                    office
                    ::
                     303.790.7940 x25
                    email
                    ::
                     jdrago@...

                    E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

                  • John Drago
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 26 9:19 AM
                      I have put together a rough, working example of a parser that could grow
                      to support this ASP.NET-style development we've been talking about.

                      I can post what I have, but it's only about 50 lines and wouldn't help
                      anyone much. Another couple weeks of free time on this project should
                      yield more progress.

                      The parser I have written works for the following code.

                      ---- test.aspx -----
                      <%@ Register prefix="test" class="MyLibs::ASP::Test" %>
                      <head>
                      <title>Testing</title>
                      </head>
                      <test:header id="hd1" runat="server" arg1="foo" stuff="bar">
                      <test:hlink runat="server" id="bob">Click Me.</test:hlink>
                      </test:header>
                      ---- end test.aspx ----

                      Then, in MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm, I do this:

                      ---- MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm ----
                      package MyLibs::ASP::Test;
                      use strict;

                      #====================================================
                      sub header
                      {
                      my ($s, $args, $html) = @_;
                      qq{<span class="header" id="$args->{id}">$html</span>};
                      }# end header

                      #====================================================
                      sub hlink
                      {
                      my ($s, $args, $html) = @_;
                      return "<a href=\"" . $s->_link($args) . "\">$html</a>";
                      }# end hlink

                      #====================================================
                      sub _link
                      {
                      my ($s,$args) = @_;
                      # Do something special with $args, return a URI
                      }# end _link
                      ---- end MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm ----

                      | > |
                      | > | # global.asa
                      | > | use vars qw($List);
                      | > | sub Script_OnStart {
                      | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
                      | > | }
                      | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
                      | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
                      | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
                      | > | }
                      | > |
                      | > | Then in the script, you can:
                      | > |
                      | > | <%
                      | > | $List->->add('list1',
                      | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
                      | > | );
                      | > | %>
                      | > |
                      | > | And then you can:
                      | > |
                      | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
                      | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
                      | > | </asp:listbox>
                      | > |
                      | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
                      | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
                      | > |
                      | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
                      | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
                      this.

                      | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
                      | > |
                      | > |
                      | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
                      there

                      | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
                      in
                      | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
                      features
                      | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
                      | > |
                      | > | Regards,
                      | > |
                      | > | Josh
                      | > |
                      | > |

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28 7:14 PM
                        John Drago wrote:
                        > I have put together a rough, working example of a parser that could grow
                        > to support this ASP.NET-style development we've been talking about.
                        >
                        > I can post what I have, but it's only about 50 lines and wouldn't help
                        > anyone much. Another couple weeks of free time on this project should
                        > yield more progress.
                        >
                        > The parser I have written works for the following code.
                        >
                        > ---- test.aspx -----
                        > <%@ Register prefix="test" class="MyLibs::ASP::Test" %>
                        > <head>
                        > <title>Testing</title>
                        > </head>
                        > <test:header id="hd1" runat="server" arg1="foo" stuff="bar">
                        > <test:hlink runat="server" id="bob">Click Me.</test:hlink>
                        > </test:header>

                        I really like the idea of a <% Register %> type directive.
                        Is this from .Net specifically, or are you just making this up
                        for the purpose of getting XMLSubs extended? If we are just
                        making it up, we might borrow a standard syntax for this from
                        JSP taglibs or some such.

                        I would like to enable something like this though, and if we
                        could get the idea hammered out, I could get you an extension
                        for Apache::ASP that makes this work.

                      • John Drago
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29 10:31 AM

                          | I really like the idea of a <% Register %> type directive.
                          | Is this from .Net specifically, or are you just making this up
                          | for the purpose of getting XMLSubs extended? If we are just
                          | making it up, we might borrow a standard syntax for this from
                          | JSP taglibs or some such.

                          [JD:] It was "inspired" by the .Net Register directives. Borrowing the
                          syntax from JSP makes sense.

                          | I would like to enable something like this though, and if we
                          | could get the idea hammered out, I could get you an extension
                          | for Apache::ASP that makes this work.

                          [JD:] That would be great. Basically a dev version that I could work
                          with? I also want to have the ability to reference in-page widgets by
                          ID. For instance:
                          <asp:button id="button1" />
                          [...elsewhere...]
                          $button1->{Text} = "Click Me";

                          I'm going to implement recursive parsing, so that the output of one of
                          these elements will also be parsed and the output collected, in case it
                          also contains things like taglib registrations, xmlSubs, ASP tags (<%
                          %>), etc.

                          One thing that ASP.NET has is the <%@ Cache %> directives. We can
                          specify the caching parameters based on timeout, parameter, sessionID or
                          whatever. Because we could end up with a lot of overhead on the parsing
                          end of things, caching parsed versions would be good. I know you
                          already do this in Apache::ASP, but I don't completely understand
                          how/where it is cached. Some detail on this would be good.

                          OK, now here's the kicker. I have a situation here where we have an
                          application written in ASP-VBscript for IIS that will need to integrate
                          with Apache::ASP. I have written a module that allows COM-enabled code
                          (VBScript, JScript, PerlScript) to be used together in the Inline::
                          style. I call it Inline::COM. If we can get something worked out using
                          these XMLSubs where basically anything within a <com:vbscript> tag could
                          be executed by this Inline::COM module, it would solve a lot of
                          problems. We could even make it so Inline::Java, Inline::C or really
                          anything could be called out to very easily from within an Apache::ASP
                          page.

                          This could get very interesting.