Re: .NET-style components and development

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004
      John Drago wrote:
      > Is anyone aware of work being done to duplicate ASP.NET in an
      > Apache::ASP type of environment?
      > There are several features of ASP.NET I would like to take advantage of,
      > but I want to still use Apache and mod_perl.
      > I haven't come across anything on various web searches, so I'm asking
      > here.
      >
      > If there are others willing to get involved in the planning of such a
      > task, I am willing to set aside some time to work on coding ASP.NET for
      > Apache.
      >
      > Any takers?

      The only one that I know of is Mono, http://developer.ximian.com/projects/mono/

      What features of ASP.NET did you want to use?

    • John Drago
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004
        Hi,

        I'm not too excited about Mono because I can't use perl with it :) (C#
        is a fine language, but I want to stick with perl.)

        What I want is simple enough to explain (I think) so I'll give it a
        shot.

        Right now with XMLSubs, we can do the following:

        [asp.pm]
        package asp;

        sub listbox
        {
        my ($args, $html) = @_;
        print qq{<select id="$args->{id}">html</select>};
        }# end listbox()

        [listbox.asp]
        <asp:listbox id="list1">
        <option selected>Select One</option>
        <option value="1">Blue</option>
        <option value="2">Red</option>
        </asp:listbox>

        What I want to do would look something like so:
        [listbox.asp]

        <asp:listbox id="list1">
        <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
        </asp:listbox>

        <%
        # Dynamically add items to the list before it's rendered:
        $Page->list1->Items->add(
        asp::listitem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" ) );
        $Page->list1->Items->add(
        asp::listitem->new( Value => "2", Text => "Red" ) );

        # or, iterate through items within the listbox:
        foreach my $item ( $Page->list1->Items )
        {
        if( $item->Value == 1 )
        {
        $item->Text = "Blue [this is my favorite...isn't it yours?]";
        }# end if()
        }# end foreach()

        %>

        Something tells me that this isn't too far away from what we already
        have with Apache::ASP...that with some extra methods inherited from a
        package subclassed by asp::listbox and asp::listitem, it is 100%
        possible.

        I would need some help with where to bless the $Page object into the
        namespace the ASP pages are executed in.

        While I see great value in the current XMLSubs framework, I see this as
        the next logical step.

        There are some things about the ASP.NET model I don't like, and some I
        do.

        Apache::ASP does *almost* everything I want it to do, and this kind of
        extension would make it a lot more powerful in my opinion.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 15, 2004
          John Drago wrote:

          > What I want to do would look something like so:
          > [listbox.asp]
          >
          > <asp:listbox id="list1">
          > <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
          > </asp:listbox>
          >
          > <%
          > # Dynamically add items to the list before it's rendered:
          > $Page->list1->Items->add(
          > asp::listitem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" ) );
          > $Page->list1->Items->add(
          > asp::listitem->new( Value => "2", Text => "Red" ) );
          >
          > # or, iterate through items within the listbox:
          > foreach my $item ( $Page->list1->Items )
          > {
          > if( $item->Value == 1 )
          > {
          > $item->Text = "Blue [this is my favorite...isn't it yours?]";
          > }# end if()
          > }# end foreach()
          >
          > %>
          >
          > Something tells me that this isn't too far away from what we already
          > have with Apache::ASP...that with some extra methods inherited from a
          > package subclassed by asp::listbox and asp::listitem, it is 100%
          > possible.
          >
          > I would need some help with where to bless the $Page object into the
          > namespace the ASP pages are executed in.

          If you set up a $List object in global.asa, it will be seen in includes
          and scripts, but not in the scope of the XMLSubs packages. So you might
          create it in the main package to reference from like this:

          # global.asa
          use vars qw($List);
          sub Script_OnStart {
          $List = $main::List = List->new();
          }
          sub Script_OnEnd {
          $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
          $List = $main::List = undef;
          }

          Then in the script, you can:

          <%
          $List->->add('list1',
          ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
          );
          %>

          And then you can:

          <asp:listbox id="list1">
          <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
          </asp:listbox>

          And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem properly,
          looking at the $main::List object.

          If you really want to build objects through code though, you might check
          out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly this. Output
          from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.

          > Apache::ASP does *almost* everything I want it to do, and this kind of
          > extension would make it a lot more powerful in my opinion.

          What is the extension in particular that you are looking for?
          Is there something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you
          like in ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
          features of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?

          Josh Chamas, Founder | NodeWorks - http://www.nodeworks.com
          Chamas Enterprises Inc. | NodeWorks Directory - http://dir.nodeworks.com
          http://www.chamas.com | Apache::ASP - http://www.apache-asp.org

        • John Drago
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 17, 2004
            If anyone is interested,
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with the
            System.Web.UI namespace.

            My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the desired
            functionality. By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place in a
            perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
            already available within perl.

            I figure we would need to emulate the functionality of: System.Web.UI
            (as a base class, and defining certain constants).

            o System.Web.UI.Control (base class, inherited by all default and
            custom controls).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.ControlCollection (this functionality could be rolled
            into System.Web.UI.Control).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlCollectionClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler & IPostBackEventHandler
            (inheritable interface that allows controls to handle how their postback
            data is handled).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIIPostBackDataHandlerClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.Page (represents an .aspx file, and is used as a base
            class when creating a web forms class in codebehind mode).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.PageParser (parses .aspx files).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageParserClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.TemplateBuilder (supports the PageParser in building a
            template and the child controls it contains).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.TemplateControl (inheritable base class. Provides the
            Page class and UserControl class a base set of functionality).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.UserControl (represents an .ascx file which implements
            and/or extends the TemplateControl class to produce some functionality
            or html).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            o System.Web.UI.UserControlControlBuilder (Does a recursive descent
            into the sub-controls contained within a UserControl, building them as
            it goes, so that UserControls can contain other controls inside them).
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
            tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlControlBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

            Let me make myself clear. I do not want to duplicate the entire ASP.NET
            thing in perl. I merely wish to skim the good stuff off the top and
            move along. In fact, there's more I dislike about ASP.NET than there is
            I *do* like about it. However, I recognize some things there that could
            save me loads of time on a large-scale project.

            Mason has some similar functionality with its *.mas components
            http://www.masonbook.com/book/chapter-1.mhtml#TOC-ANCHOR-3 but lacks the
            PostBack way of dealing with round-trip forms (as with server-side form
            validation). It also lacks the built-in ability to do things like
            append listitems to a <select> tag.

            John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
            E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
            office
            ::
             303.790.7940 x25
            email
            ::
             jdrago@...

            E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8, 2004
              John Drago wrote:
              > If anyone is interested,
              > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
              > tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with the
              > System.Web.UI namespace.
              >
              > My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the desired
              > functionality. By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place in a
              > perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
              > already available within perl.

              Sorry I have not gotten back to you on this yet. I wanted to give the
              .Net stuff a good read first before I started an informed discussion
              with you about this, which I still have not done :( . I would like to
              extend the Apache::ASP framework to be able to handle extensions that
              can fully replicate the .NET taglibs, and I understand that the XMLSubs
              falls well short of that. I am not sure about other aspects of the
              newer objects architecture, but there may be a place for those also.

              To help focus the discussion, it may be useful to know exactly what
              feature(s) would be useful for you to begin work on as a shorter term goal.
              It seemed like the dynamic list boxes was a place you wanted to start
              at, but more input here would be good.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2004
                Hi Josh,

                In a nutshell, I want to be able to define a reusable component (*.ascx)
                and associate the display-layer of that component (*.ascx) with a
                package (*.pm) that defines its function separately. This way I could
                have a "Button" component that is used in 10 different places, and they
                all do different things. This also allows for component inheritance
                (BlueButton extends Button).

                The second feature is to have the ability to reference instances of
                these components from within the perl code, at runtime, and access
                methods defined in their package (*.pm).

                For instance:

                [asp code]
                <asp:label id="label1" runat="server" />
                <%
                $label1->{text} = "This would be nice!";
                %>

                [ Which outputs ]

                In the case of things like listboxes, they could expose their "items" as
                a public array, or follow the asp.net way of using a public method to
                adjust the items within an instance of the component.

                [in package System::Web::UI::ListBox ]

                use base qw/ System::Web::UI::Component /;
                sub addItem
                {
                my ($s,$item) = @_;
                push @{$s->{items}}, $item;
                }# end addItem()

                # This method overrides the same in System::Web::UI::Component:
                sub renderComponent
                {
                my $s = shift;
                my $str = q{<select name="$s->{id}" >\n};
                $str .= "\t<option value="$_->{value}">$_->{text}</option>\n"
                foreach @{$s->{items}};
                $str .= q{</select>};
                return $str;
                }# end renderComponent()

                Let me know if this is more clear.

                Thanks!
                John Drago

                | > |
                | > | # global.asa
                | > | use vars qw($List);
                | > | sub Script_OnStart {
                | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
                | > | }
                | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
                | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
                | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
                | > | }
                | > |
                | > | Then in the script, you can:
                | > |
                | > | <%
                | > | $List->->add('list1',
                | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
                | > | );
                | > | %>
                | > |
                | > | And then you can:
                | > |
                | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
                | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
                | > | </asp:listbox>
                | > |
                | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
                | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
                | > |
                | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
                | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
                this.

                | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
                | > |
                | > |
                | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
                there

                | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
                in
                | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
                features
                | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
                | > |
                | > | Regards,
                | > |
                | > | Josh
                | > |
                | > |

                | > | Josh Chamas, Founder | NodeWorks - http://www.nodeworks.com
                | > | Chamas Enterprises Inc. | NodeWorks Directory -
                | > http://dir.nodeworks.com
                | > | http://www.chamas.com | Apache::ASP - http://www.apache-asp.org
                | > |
                | > |
                | > |
                | > |
                | > |
                | > For additional commands, e-mail: asp-help@...

              • John Drago
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2004
                  Here's more.

                  If I have a component BlueButton.ascx which extends Button.ascx, I
                  should be able to do something like this within BlueButton.ascx:

                  [inside BlueButton.ascx]
                  <asp:Button id="$s->{id}" style="background-color: blue;" runat="server"
                  />
                  We could also have other components within *.ascx files. For instance:
                  <asp:Label id="theLabel" style="color: red;" runat="server" />
                  <% $theLabel->{text} = q{Here's some "Text" for "theLabel"}; %>

                  This page shows an example of this in ASP.NET:
                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
                  tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

                  Thanks,
                  John Drago

                  | > |
                  | > | # global.asa
                  | > | use vars qw($List);
                  | > | sub Script_OnStart {
                  | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
                  | > | }
                  | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
                  | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
                  | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
                  | > | }
                  | > |
                  | > | Then in the script, you can:
                  | > |
                  | > | <%
                  | > | $List->->add('list1',
                  | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
                  | > | );
                  | > | %>
                  | > |
                  | > | And then you can:
                  | > |
                  | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
                  | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
                  | > | </asp:listbox>
                  | > |
                  | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
                  | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
                  | > |
                  | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
                  | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
                  this.

                  | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
                  there

                  | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
                  in
                  | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
                  features
                  | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
                  | > |
                  | > | Regards,
                  | > |
                  | > | Josh
                  | > |
                  | > |

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 9, 2004
                    Is anyone working on W3C xform implementation within Apache::ASP?

                    Thanks, Craig

                  • Craig Dayton
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
                      Hi John,

                      >Are you looking for an object-oriented way to generate the XML to represent
                      Xforms?

                      Yes, basically. Ideally, it would be implementation similar to
                      www.formsplayer.com and would play nicely with Apache2, mod_perl &
                      Apache::ASP or any other Apache templating solution.

                      -Craig

                      CPAN and searching "Xform" I found this:
                      http://search.cpan.org/search?query=xform&mode=all . Still doesn't help
                      much, as it appears to be tied to X11::Xforms.

                      Are you looking for an object-oriented way to generate the XML to represent
                      Xforms?

                      John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
                      E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
                      office
                      ::
                       303.790.7940 x25
                      email
                      ::
                       jdrago@...

                      E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

                    • John Drago
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26, 2004
                        I have put together a rough, working example of a parser that could grow
                        to support this ASP.NET-style development we've been talking about.

                        I can post what I have, but it's only about 50 lines and wouldn't help
                        anyone much. Another couple weeks of free time on this project should
                        yield more progress.

                        The parser I have written works for the following code.

                        ---- test.aspx -----
                        <%@ Register prefix="test" class="MyLibs::ASP::Test" %>
                        <head>
                        <title>Testing</title>
                        </head>
                        <test:header id="hd1" runat="server" arg1="foo" stuff="bar">
                        <test:hlink runat="server" id="bob">Click Me.</test:hlink>
                        </test:header>
                        ---- end test.aspx ----

                        Then, in MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm, I do this:

                        ---- MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm ----
                        package MyLibs::ASP::Test;
                        use strict;

                        #====================================================
                        sub header
                        {
                        my ($s, $args, $html) = @_;
                        qq{<span class="header" id="$args->{id}">$html</span>};
                        }# end header

                        #====================================================
                        sub hlink
                        {
                        my ($s, $args, $html) = @_;
                        return "<a href=\"" . $s->_link($args) . "\">$html</a>";
                        }# end hlink

                        #====================================================
                        sub _link
                        {
                        my ($s,$args) = @_;
                        # Do something special with $args, return a URI
                        }# end _link
                        ---- end MyLibs/ASP/Test.pm ----

                        | > |
                        | > | # global.asa
                        | > | use vars qw($List);
                        | > | sub Script_OnStart {
                        | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
                        | > | }
                        | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
                        | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
                        | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
                        | > | }
                        | > |
                        | > | Then in the script, you can:
                        | > |
                        | > | <%
                        | > | $List->->add('list1',
                        | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
                        | > | );
                        | > | %>
                        | > |
                        | > | And then you can:
                        | > |
                        | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
                        | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
                        | > | </asp:listbox>
                        | > |
                        | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
                        | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
                        | > |
                        | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
                        | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
                        this.

                        | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
                        | > |
                        | > |
                        | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
                        there

                        | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
                        in
                        | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
                        features
                        | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
                        | > |
                        | > | Regards,
                        | > |
                        | > | Josh
                        | > |
                        | > |

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 28, 2004
                          John Drago wrote:
                          > I have put together a rough, working example of a parser that could grow
                          > to support this ASP.NET-style development we've been talking about.
                          >
                          > I can post what I have, but it's only about 50 lines and wouldn't help
                          > anyone much. Another couple weeks of free time on this project should
                          > yield more progress.
                          >
                          > The parser I have written works for the following code.
                          >
                          > ---- test.aspx -----
                          > <%@ Register prefix="test" class="MyLibs::ASP::Test" %>
                          > <head>
                          > <title>Testing</title>
                          > </head>
                          > <test:header id="hd1" runat="server" arg1="foo" stuff="bar">
                          > <test:hlink runat="server" id="bob">Click Me.</test:hlink>
                          > </test:header>

                          I really like the idea of a <% Register %> type directive.
                          Is this from .Net specifically, or are you just making this up
                          for the purpose of getting XMLSubs extended? If we are just
                          making it up, we might borrow a standard syntax for this from
                          JSP taglibs or some such.

                          I would like to enable something like this though, and if we
                          could get the idea hammered out, I could get you an extension
                          for Apache::ASP that makes this work.

                        • John Drago
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2004

                            | I really like the idea of a <% Register %> type directive.
                            | Is this from .Net specifically, or are you just making this up
                            | for the purpose of getting XMLSubs extended? If we are just
                            | making it up, we might borrow a standard syntax for this from
                            | JSP taglibs or some such.

                            [JD:] It was "inspired" by the .Net Register directives. Borrowing the
                            syntax from JSP makes sense.

                            | I would like to enable something like this though, and if we
                            | could get the idea hammered out, I could get you an extension
                            | for Apache::ASP that makes this work.

                            [JD:] That would be great. Basically a dev version that I could work
                            with? I also want to have the ability to reference in-page widgets by
                            ID. For instance:
                            <asp:button id="button1" />
                            [...elsewhere...]
                            $button1->{Text} = "Click Me";

                            I'm going to implement recursive parsing, so that the output of one of
                            these elements will also be parsed and the output collected, in case it
                            also contains things like taglib registrations, xmlSubs, ASP tags (<%
                            %>), etc.

                            One thing that ASP.NET has is the <%@ Cache %> directives. We can
                            specify the caching parameters based on timeout, parameter, sessionID or
                            whatever. Because we could end up with a lot of overhead on the parsing
                            end of things, caching parsed versions would be good. I know you
                            already do this in Apache::ASP, but I don't completely understand
                            how/where it is cached. Some detail on this would be good.

                            OK, now here's the kicker. I have a situation here where we have an
                            application written in ASP-VBscript for IIS that will need to integrate
                            with Apache::ASP. I have written a module that allows COM-enabled code
                            (VBScript, JScript, PerlScript) to be used together in the Inline::
                            style. I call it Inline::COM. If we can get something worked out using
                            these XMLSubs where basically anything within a <com:vbscript> tag could
                            be executed by this Inline::COM module, it would solve a lot of
                            problems. We could even make it so Inline::Java, Inline::C or really
                            anything could be called out to very easily from within an Apache::ASP
                            page.

                            This could get very interesting.