Re: Application_OnStart not getting called

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2004
      Warren Young wrote:

      > More accurately, the new event would be for calculating something when
      > the web server first comes up.

      Apache::ASP does not know what applications are installed when the
      web server first comes up. That is what the Loader() routine is for.
      Loader() combined with this new event could calculate something just
      once for when the global.asa is first compiled in the parent httpd,
      but only when using Loader().

      The problem fundamentally is getting Apache::ASP to know what applications
      to compile at httpd server start time, and this is what Loader() does.
      Loader for starters compiles the global.asa in the application being
      referenced, and thus trigger the Global_OnStart routine being proposed.

      > If I were still working on the code, this would be a fair annoyance. The
      > difference with new event is that it would run every time the parent web
      > server comes up, regardless of whether the "application" is considered
      > to be restarting. Restarting the web server to make new changes appear
      > isn't a problem at all. I have to do it often already, since much of my
      > code is in Perl modules, which don't get reloaded when they change.

      The Global_OnStart event would actually run each time the global.asa is
      recompiled in a child web server process, so just touching the global.asa
      would trigger this event. Also for reloading perl code dynamically while
      in development, you can try the StatINC config, and the Apache::Reload module.

      > Global_OnStart is good.

      Thanks, this seems to be the consensus.

      > I was thinking Global_OnStart would be in lieu of getting Loader
      > working. Once you get Loader working, code at the end of global.asa has
      > this "once on Apache startup" behavior, doesn't it?

      Yes. Global_OnStart would just formalize this behavior. Again, unless
      one can propose a better way, I think Loader() is the best we can get
      for compiling Apache::ASP applications in the parent httpd.

      > The only gray area would be if you changed global.asa. It gets
      > recompiled in this case. Would Global_OnStart be re-run? I suppose it
      > could work either way.

      Yes.

      >> It may be that necessarily Global_OnStart would have to occur before
      >> $Application
      >> or $Session is set up ( effectively before Application_OnStart or
      >> Session_OnStart )
      >> effectively. Would this event still be useful if this is the case?
      >

      > Yes, that's still useful.

      Thanks for the feedback so far...