Re: General questions

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
      > A few questions:
      >
      > * Im setting up a box from scratch with Redhat Linux 9.0, can anyone
      > recommend a stable config to go with? Eg, which perl, which apache,
      > which mod_perl etc. I want to avoid the mod_perl 2.0 track.

      I have been using the perl 5.6.x series now for production work for quite
      some time and have no complaints. The 5.8.x series seems to have some
      UTF8 false warnings, but these seems to be largely managed by using a
      "use bytes" command. For Apache/mod_perl, just stick with the 1.x series
      for each, but use the latest.

      > * Does Apache::ASP cache output based on $Response->{Expires*} and
      > handle If-Modified-Since requests accordingly? If yes, does
      > it apply to both caches?

      No, Apache::ASP does not cache output internally based on these headers.
      If you want a system to, I would suggest having a mod_proxy layer in
      front of the mod_perl server, and turn caching on, so that you have have
      a normal proxy cache layer caching your responses.

      > * After closer reading it seems that caching only applies to
      > scripts invoked with $Response->Include(). Is this true?

      Yes, and only when explicity enabled with the Cache => 1 flag passed.

      > * How can a script interact with the xslt output cache? I will need to
      > let scripts decide on invocation if the cached data needs to be
      > refreshed. Is this possible?

      Easy. The XSLT cache will cache the unique output resulting from
      a particular XSL + XML combination, so if either the XML output from
      an ASP script or the XSL output changes, the cache will be updated
      with tbe new output. There is no control otherwise on the cache behavior
      except for whether its active or not. I would recommend only using
      the cache when you have times when both the XML & XSL inputs will
      be unchanging & you want to accelerate this. Good examples of this
      are otherwise static pages that do not have things like dynamic timestamps
      and that kind of thing.