General questions

  • Robert Friberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
      I'm resending this. Was the list down a few days? The archives at yahoo
      show no messages at all from Feb 9 to Feb 11. Or do messages without
      subjects get silently discarded?

      /Robert Friberg
      ----

      Hi All!

      I have been sneaking around here for very long, several
      years in fact.

      I'm preparing for a new major project and have decided to give
      Apache::ASP a go. I usually write mod_perl handlers directly or
      use Apache::Pxp, my home made embedded perl API. It's similar to
      Apache::ASP but has a minimum set of features, basically I just pass the
      Apache::Request object as an argument to each page, (which is parsed,
      wrapped in a sub and compiled on first call).

      A few questions:

      * Im setting up a box from scratch with Redhat Linux 9.0, can anyone
      recommend a stable config to go with? Eg, which perl, which apache,
      which mod_perl etc. I want to avoid the mod_perl 2.0 track.

      * Does Apache::ASP cache output based on $Response->{Expires*} and
      handle If-Modified-Since requests accordingly? If yes, does
      it apply to both caches?

      * After closer reading it seems that caching only applies to
      scripts invoked with $Response->Include(). Is this true?

      * How can a script interact with the xslt output cache? I will need to
      let scripts decide on invocation if the cached data needs to be
      refreshed. Is this possible?

      Thanks in advance!
      ! Robert Friberg 0733-839080
      ! Developer/Trainer perl,java,dotnet,linux,xml,uml,sql,c/c++,vb
      ! Ensofus AB http://www.ensofus.se/
      ! Miljö Online AB http://www.miljo-online.se/
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
        > A few questions:
        >
        > * Im setting up a box from scratch with Redhat Linux 9.0, can anyone
        > recommend a stable config to go with? Eg, which perl, which apache,
        > which mod_perl etc. I want to avoid the mod_perl 2.0 track.

        I have been using the perl 5.6.x series now for production work for quite
        some time and have no complaints. The 5.8.x series seems to have some
        UTF8 false warnings, but these seems to be largely managed by using a
        "use bytes" command. For Apache/mod_perl, just stick with the 1.x series
        for each, but use the latest.

        > * Does Apache::ASP cache output based on $Response->{Expires*} and
        > handle If-Modified-Since requests accordingly? If yes, does
        > it apply to both caches?

        No, Apache::ASP does not cache output internally based on these headers.
        If you want a system to, I would suggest having a mod_proxy layer in
        front of the mod_perl server, and turn caching on, so that you have have
        a normal proxy cache layer caching your responses.

        > * After closer reading it seems that caching only applies to
        > scripts invoked with $Response->Include(). Is this true?

        Yes, and only when explicity enabled with the Cache => 1 flag passed.

        > * How can a script interact with the xslt output cache? I will need to
        > let scripts decide on invocation if the cached data needs to be
        > refreshed. Is this possible?

        Easy. The XSLT cache will cache the unique output resulting from
        a particular XSL + XML combination, so if either the XML output from
        an ASP script or the XSL output changes, the cache will be updated
        with tbe new output. There is no control otherwise on the cache behavior
        except for whether its active or not. I would recommend only using
        the cache when you have times when both the XML & XSL inputs will
        be unchanging & you want to accelerate this. Good examples of this
        are otherwise static pages that do not have things like dynamic timestamps
        and that kind of thing.