Annoying problem POST works, GET does not, please help

  • Youngblood, Gregory (SAIC)
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2004
      Good afternoon, I'm hoping someone can help me with what has to be a simple
      problem. This is almost definitely a case of USER ERROR on my part, but it
      is giving me fits.

      I want to call a URL, such as
      http://127.0.0.1/index.asp?field1=value1&field2=value2, and get the data
      from the URL.
      The url is the same as one generated by a form using the GET method to
      submit data.

      I would like to use $Request->Form('field1') to get value1 from field1. It
      does not appear to work.

      I did verify that QUERY_STRING does have the field1=value1&field2=value2
      data in it.

      I can also create a form using GET method and submit the data and still not
      see the data in Request->Form.

      If I change the form to use the POST method, everything works. The only
      problem is I want to use GET and not POST. I need to create text (and/or
      image) links to the URL changing the value of field1 and field2 accordingly.

      I have a minimal config, httpd.doc has:

      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlModule Apache::ASP
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
      PerlSetVar Global /srv/www/lib
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
      </Files>

      and global.asa is empty. There is no .htaccess file. The file I'm calling is
      "index.asp".

      index.asp is very short (for testing purposes):

      <head>
      <title>Test</title>
      </head>
      <h1>test 1</h1>
      <form method=GET>
      <input type=text name=field1 /><br />
      <input type=text name=field2 /><br />
      <input type=submit />
      </form>
      <h1>results 1:</h1>
      <h2><%=$Request->Form('field1')%></h2>
      <h2><%=$Request->Form('field2')%></h2>
      <h1>test 2</h1>
      <form method=POST>
      <input type=text name=field1 /><br />
      <input type=text name=field2 /><br />
      <input type=submit />
      </form>
      <h1>results 2:</h1>
      <h2><%=$Request->Form('field1')%></h2>
      <h2><%=$Request->Form('field2')%></h2>

      This is on a SUSE9 Linux system.

      I can very easily write somethign to read QUERY_STRING, but one of the
      advantages of Apache::ASP is the form handling. I thought the Request object
      included processing for data submitted with GET and put the values in Form.

      Any clues or ideas?

      Thanks,
      Greg

    • Tim Pushor
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2004
        Straight from
        http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html#%24Request-%3EFo76659178:

        $Request->Form($name)

        Returns the value of the input of name $name used in a form with POST
        method.

        ... Later on ...

        $Request->QueryString($name)

        Returns the value of the input of name $name used in a form with GET
        method, or passed by appending a query string to the end of a url ..

        Check $Request->Params on the same page for a way to do what you want (I
        think) although thats not valid ASP..

        Tim

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2004
          I didn't mean 'valid' - of course its valid as far as apache-asp goes,
          but its an API Extention ..

        • Youngblood, Gregory (SAIC)
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2004
            Thanks - I KNEW it was user error on my part. And something simple. :)

            I must have read that page several times and skipped over QueryString (and
            Params) every time. Not to mention missing the comment about "POST" in Form.

            Thanks again,
            Greg