Re: StateDB to DBI/RDBMS for load balancing

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2004
      Francesco Pasqualini wrote:
      > to run ApacheASP application in a load balancing multi server environment we
      > need the possibility to store the State in a place accessible from any
      > server.
      >
      > I don't like very much the NFS solution, I think it could be better to use a
      > DB and so I ask to Joshua and the apacheAsp community the possibility to add
      > the support for storing StateDB in a DB via DBI.

      Right, don't do the NFS if you can help it merely because NFS does not seem
      to support the file locking semantics. Until Apache::ASP::Session is supported
      in RDBMS natively, I would use Apache::Session, which you can easily configure
      to use by setting

      PerlSetVar AllowSessionState Off

      and then setting $Session to the Apache::Session object created in Script_OnStart.
      Make sure to do a $Server->RegisterCleanup to properly DESTROY the $Session object,
      and register it in Script_OnStart immediately after creating the object.

      The biggest problems here is that you do not get the benefits of Session_OnStart
      and Session_OnEnd, as well as expires session garbage collection.