Re: Multiple virtual hosts and same pm-modules names errors

  • Stuart Johnston
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2004
      Alexander Shipitsyn wrote:

      > I need to have different code (and same module names!) for production
      > and development site.
      >
      > Also I need to have (for example) two different production sites
      > (production sites for company A and company B) (site-A-production and
      > site-B-production), developed with same module naming conventions (for
      > example, each production site (A and B) have pm-module with name
      > "Tools.pm" and different code of each Tools.pm). For example, my
      > programming style is to use in web-pages my service module named
      > "Tools.pm" developed specially for each site.
      >
      > And for each of production sites (A and B) I need to have development
      > version of site (site-A-dev and site-B-dev) with different code of
      > modules.

      Do you really think it is a good idea to have your production and
      development running in the same httpd? I understand you may have
      specific restrictions but get around this if you can.

      > Ok, general question about hosting multiple sites (virtual hosts).
      >
      > Assume that I need to host 10 (or 50) Apache::ASP-based sites. Assume
      > that each site have private module "Tools.pm" with globally-unique
      > code. Assume that I need to have one httpd build configured for
      > processing by child-httpd more than 1 user request (user request for
      > random hosted site). Assume that I need to use only one IP-address and
      > only port 80 on this IP-address with one httpd build (one root
      > instance in memory with 10 child processes).

      How flexible is your one root httpd requirement? If you can bend this a
      little, one option would be to have one apache running on your IP:80
      serving static content for all sites (such as images) and also acting as
      a front-end proxy for your apache/mod_perl servers. You would have one
      mod_perl instance per site but they would not need to bind to an
      external IP, each would run on a different local port (localhost:8000,
      locahost:8001, etc).

      http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/scenario.html#Front_end_Back_end_Proxying_with_Virtual_Hosts

      HTH,
      Stuart Johnston