How to step over the , while input redirection is not given at commandline

  • SubbaReddy M
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
      Hello Gurus,
      Source code: of printFile.pl
      ######### File: printFile.pl ##################
      #! /usr/bin/perl -w
      my (@data, $user);

      # Input rediretion file

      $user = (defined @ARGV) ? shift @ARGV : "Anonymous";

      # I don't wish to prompt by program, but it's still waiting how to Step Over
      here
      @data = <STDIN> if ( defined <STDIN>);

      die " perl $0 < data.txt" if (@data);

      print "User: $user \n";
      foreach (@data){
      print $_;
      }

      1;
      ########### EOF #############

      I have a perl scripts, which expects the input file as redirection at
      command line.
      i.e.,
      [user3@Linux] # perl printFile.pl < data.txt

      => This will display the inputed file content, if file name is piped as
      redirection.
      => Otherwise, program will wait to accept the file.
      => So, I don't want program prompt for the file name,
      => I would like to check the file name is given or not.
      => But, becuase of <STDIN> statement in program to dump the content of the
      file into Array, will cause to wait if " < data.txt" is missing at command
      line.
      => It's very easy, if @ARGV checking, will have the command line parameters.
      But, it 's not in command line paramenters list.
      => It is input redirection.

      <=> How to check the input direction is given or not in perl, @ = <STDIN>;
      => like @ = <STDIN> if ( defined <STDIN> ); But this will not full fill
      the requirement, because, it's prompting
      for input, if redirection missing at commandline.

      Please, kindly give me suggestions to proceed.

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,

      ~ SubbaReddy .M
      Sr. Programmer, Frontlinesoft, Hyderabad
      http://www.frontlinesoft.com
      Ph: 91-40-3392147, 3391683 (O)
      91-40-3307980 ( R)
      w3page: http://www.geocities.com/msubbareddy/
      ICQ: 56093095

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
        You should not cross post like this, especially if it is
        off topic for so many lists like this was. If you
        are going to do an off topic post, hit just the one
        list of your choice, and prefix the Subject with [OT]
        or some such. If this were on topic for a list, hit
        just the one. You just hit a few thousand email addresses
        with this one post.

        Even if I knew the answer ( which I don't ), I would not
        answer this email because I do not want to support this
        misuse of these mailing lists.

        --Josh