Re: Caching Apache::ASP-generated pages

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
      Philip Mak wrote:

      > But then I realized that the backend, while it always generates the
      > same content for a given URL (unless the administrator updates the
      > database), generates different advertising depending on the country of
      > the remote user (determined via Geo::IP) and how many pages they have
      > viewed so far!
      >
      > So, I don't think front-end caching would work here, since it would
      > break the advertising rotation.

      Right.

      > Any ideas on what to do? Off the top of my head, I can think of the
      > following options:
      >
      > * Buy a separate database server.

      and/or upgrade your current server. This is usually the easiest step though,
      adding a database server. It may be that much of your load is generated by
      your database, in which case you might need to do some database optimization.

      > * Break up the Apache::ASP pages into components that are cached via
      > $Response->Include; not as good as caching the whole page via the
      > frontend, but should help.

      Yep, smart caching here can go a long way.

      > * Have the backend generate a placeholder for the advertisements,
      > allow the frontend to cache the backend's responses, but write a
      > module in C on the frontend that inserts the advertisements. (Sounds
      > efficient from a technical standpoint, but painful to do considering
      > I have no experience writing Apache modules. I'm also not sure how
      > to make a filtering module work together with the cache, or if it's
      > even possible.)

      I would not even go there. :-)

      > * Benchmark performance of the ASP scripts to see if there's any easy
      > optimizations I can perform.

      Yes!