global.asa, startup.pl, httpd.conf, or module

  • ter_perl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hello All.

      I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP. After initially
      getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl, and
      Apache::ASP. After poking around in each for a while, I decided to
      go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl scripts.

      Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with which
      files I should be storing stuff. Here is what I'm doing now:

      httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry

      startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent DB
      connection. Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
      consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
      variables.

      global.asa : Empty!

      It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task. Is it
      necessary, desirable, to use both? I'm a bit of a newbie here so
      any suggestion will be helpful!

      BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you! I've never
      even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
      simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power of
      Perl.

      Regards,
      Tom

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
        ter_perl wrote:
        > Hello All.
        >
        > I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP. After initially
        > getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl, and
        > Apache::ASP. After poking around in each for a while, I decided to
        > go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl scripts.
        >
        > Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with which
        > files I should be storing stuff. Here is what I'm doing now:
        >
        > httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry
        >
        > startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent DB
        > connection. Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
        > consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
        > variables.
        >
        > global.asa : Empty!
        >
        > It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task. Is it
        > necessary, desirable, to use both? I'm a bit of a newbie here so
        > any suggestion will be helpful!

        Yes, use startup.pl for mod_perl specific configuration like preloading
        of Apache::DBI and DBI and your own module, but use global.asa to
        configure things like Script_OnStart routine which will be run prior
        to the start of each ASP script, but with access to ASP objects.

        Generally, the port from a CGI script is easy, just wrap <% %> around
        each one and voila! its an ASP script.

        > BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you! I've never
        > even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
        > simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power of
        > Perl.

        Thanks & enjoy! If you create anything for http://apache-asp.org/sites.html
        just send them to to list.

      • ter_perl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
          --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Josh Chamas <josh@c...> wrote:
          > ter_perl wrote:
          > > Hello All.
          > >
          > > I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP. After
          initially
          > > getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl,
          and
          > > Apache::ASP. After poking around in each for a while, I decided
          > > go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl
          scripts.

          > > Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with
          which
          > > files I should be storing stuff. Here is what I'm doing now:
          > >
          > > httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry
          > >
          > > startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent
          DB
          > > connection. Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
          > > consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
          > > variables.
          > >
          > > global.asa : Empty!
          > >
          > > It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task. Is
          it
          > > necessary, desirable, to use both? I'm a bit of a newbie here
          so
          > > any suggestion will be helpful!
          > >

          > Yes, use startup.pl for mod_perl specific configuration like
          preloading
          > of Apache::DBI and DBI and your own module, but use global.asa to
          > configure things like Script_OnStart routine which will be run
          prior
          > to the start of each ASP script, but with access to ASP objects.
          >
          > Generally, the port from a CGI script is easy, just wrap <% %>
          around
          > each one and voila! its an ASP script.
          >
          > > BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you! I've never
          > > even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
          > > simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power
          of
          > > Perl.
          > >

          > Thanks & enjoy! If you create anything for http://apache-
          asp.org/sites.html
          > just send them to to list.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Josh

          Thanks for the help and quick response. I'm just starting to read
          up on the Apache::ASP documentation objects and features.
          Hopefully, some of that will go into the global.asa file. I'm
          creating a web application to assist with Unix/Linux
          administration. Its running against a PostgreSQL DB and is coming
          along quite nicely. If it ever gets to a polished enough stage,
          I'll be glad to submit it to apache-asp.org.

          Thanks again.
          Tom