Disaster with a debian update

  • Skylos the Doggie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Well, I had one HECK of a problem this morning. My main web server would
      segfault when I tried to run it!

      I tried to track down for a couple hours WHY this was happening, but could
      only tell it was in the perl module code that it was doing it. I was
      beginning to tear my hair out. strace would show a read of AutoLoader.pm,
      then apache would segfault. ltrace would show roughly the same thing.
      I'm not much of a debugger, I couldn't figure how to get a clear
      traceback. :( Such information would be handy if ya'll know it.

      I finally resorted to telling my debian package manager to upgrade to the
      unstable distribution versions of the relevant packages, and reinstalled
      the stack of debian packages that run my sites to the very latest cutting
      edge versions:

      apache
      apache-common
      libapache-asp-perl
      libapache-dbi-perl
      libapache-mod-perl
      libapache-mod-ssl
      libapache-mod-ssl-doc

      A little hoking around with config file patterns that changed and a demo
      snake-oil ssl config out of the way., and it started to work.

      But on the other hand, my other web server which varies primarily in the
      fact it doesn't run ssl stuff, continued to operate absolutely fine with
      the normal upgrade.

      I don't know what to make of it really, I'm just glad that I finally got
      it to work again.

      Skylos

      - skylos@...
      - The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
      (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
      - Dogs like... TRUCKS! (Nissan commercial, 1996)
      - PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        Skylos the Doggie wrote:
        > Well, I had one HECK of a problem this morning. My main web server would
        > segfault when I tried to run it!
        >
        > I tried to track down for a couple hours WHY this was happening, but could
        > only tell it was in the perl module code that it was doing it. I was
        > beginning to tear my hair out. strace would show a read of AutoLoader.pm,
        > then apache would segfault. ltrace would show roughly the same thing.
        > I'm not much of a debugger, I couldn't figure how to get a clear
        > traceback. :( Such information would be handy if ya'll know it.

        I have rarely seen segfaults due to perl code, but sometimes I have seen
        this when the perl parser seems to hiccup on some bad code like:

        {
        my $var = ...;
        my $var = ...;
        }

        Of course the kinds of bad code that cause perl to do this vary from
        release to release, but I will run into these kinds of issues every year
        or so.

        To me it does not really make sense that it would fail on AutoLoader.pm
        I would think it more likely to fail when loading a C library like a .so file.
        At start up time at least that would be more my suspicion, so I would be
        stumped if looking at your particular issue I think. When doing an strace,
        make sure to do a "strace -eopen httpd -X ..." so that you only have one httpd process
        to deal with ( at least in apache 1.3 ).

        It sounds like this might have happened after a general system update.
        Generally I don't trust distribution updates for my apache/mod_perl/perl
        installations, and I tend to only use my own compiled versions in /usr/local,
        leaving the system binaries in /usr/[s]bin to their own OS upgrade path. This
        way, if a vendor gets something unexpected wrong, they would not kill my production
        binaries that are likely fairly customized anyway.

        > But on the other hand, my other web server which varies primarily in the
        > fact it doesn't run ssl stuff, continued to operate absolutely fine with
        > the normal upgrade.

        Yes, it could really be the SSL stuff that has some conflicting libraries
        being loaded, but still does not make sense to happen at AutoLoader.pm time.

        > I don't know what to make of it really, I'm just glad that I finally got
        > it to work again.

        Me too :)

      • Skylos the Doggie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Benjamin J. Stassart wrote:

          > I just hit the same problem running a server with SSL. I did the same
          > strace and had it turn up with AutoLoader.
          >
          > Did you manage to find a solution other than going with unstable?

          Can't say I did. :( I figure it must be something with the ssl library
          versions or something...

          maybe if we could get a functional traceback rather than file open spot...

          Skylos

          - skylos@...
          - The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
          (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
          - Dogs like... TRUCKS! (Nissan commercial, 1996)
          - PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc

        • Benjamin J. Stassart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
            If you are feeling lazy and trust me, I put the source and deb up at:

            http://www.stassart.org/debian/

            [If it's down then maybe you don't want to use this version :)]

            Otherwise:

            All you need to do to fix is recompile libapache-mod-perl.

            To recompile you need to install apache-dev libgdbm-dev and possibly some
            other dev libraries depending on what is already installed on your system
            compared to mine.

            Then just:

            $ cd /usr/local/src
            $ su -
            # cd /usr/local/src
            # apt-get source libapache-mod-perl
            # chown -hR user:group libapache-mod-perl-1.27/
            # ^D
            $ cd libapache-mod-perl-1.27
            $ fakeroot debian/rules binary

            The only change I made to the source was updating the changelog (which
            changes the version number to -5).

            If you are like me and maintain your own local repository, you will also
            want to remember to rebuild that.

            # mv libapache-mod-perl_1.27-5_i386.deb debs/
            # dpkg-scanpackages debs /dev/null | gzip > debs/Packages.gz

            Benjamin J. Stassart
            ------------------------------------------------+
            A great many people think they are thinking |
            when they are merely rearranging their |
            prejudices |

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
              On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Benjamin J. Stassart wrote:

              > If you are feeling lazy and trust me, I put the source and deb up at:
              >
              > http://www.stassart.org/debian/
              >
              > [If it's down then maybe you don't want to use this version :)]
              >
              > Otherwise:
              >
              > All you need to do to fix is recompile libapache-mod-perl.

              Can't you do that automatically with a source debian package?

              Skylos