Re: Printer friendly output

  • Fagyal, Csongor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2003
      Gregory Youngblood wrote:

      >I've seen several sites that have "printer friendly" output. Usually they
      >create a separate web page, remove the menu options and other "stuff" from
      >right and left sides, and put the heading. You might play around to find the
      >right "width" to display properly for most printers, but it should be
      >possible. You could use a single cell table to specify width or you could
      >use no table structure at all and rely on the browser to "wrap" accordingly
      >for printing. I'd go with the former.
      >
      >Your not deliverying a PDF, your not going under the extra load of the
      >conversion process. And, if your using a templating system to generate
      >pages, the "printer friendly" page could simply be a template setup for
      >printing. When the person clicks on the printer friendly page, that template
      >could be used to display the content instead of the regular template for
      >that page. It all depends on how your site is laid out.
      >
      >I think it makes more sense in this manner than the PDF conversion, unless
      >of course you really want PDF as the output.
      >
      >Just another thought for your consideration.

      Yes, your milage may vary. If you are NOT generating PDF, match out for
      printing differences. XHTML usually prints nicer than HTML. However, if
      you serve content for visitors from different countries, and/or you want
      to print out multiple pages, the A4 / Letter size difference will give
      you some headaches.

      Regards,
      - Csongor