Re: Apache::ASP Singletons

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2003
      Glossop, Ian (I.L.) wrote:

      > Hi Josh,
      >
      > Seems I encountered the same (pretty much) problem as Dr.Zeilinger:
      >
      > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=60939;search_string=Apache%20ASP%20Auth%20Cache;guest=1407612&t=search_engine#60939
      >

      > I'm going to adopt his solution. However, I'd like to influence your thinking on the evolution of Apache::ASP.
      >
      > Not being a programmer and not raised in the orthodoxy of object orientation, I always find that one area where Object Oriented Analysis struggles is in dealing with things of bigger scope than the programs one is writing: the environment, long-lived processes, the OS, clusters of machines, the Internet ... (how does one represent a corporate Intranet in object-oriented terms ? Answer: don't even try - use a more appropriate analysis). The concept of a "Singleton" is really a bit of a fudge to represent a long-lived process that handles a number of possibly unrelated requests. The problems with such a singleton ASP object you hint at in your discussion.
      >
      > If you shift your perspective a little however and think of an ASP singleton as not particularly related to an Apache request object - but more associated with an Apache (child) server process that handles requests for one of a number of ASP files then it may start to make a little more sense.
      >
      > The idea is to have a directive in the httpd.conf that creates at server startup a named, long-lived ASP object that handles requests for a named web application comprising a number of ASP (and other) files:
      >
      > PerlSetVar ASPSingleton MyApp

      The notion of a single process executing all Apache::ASP requests can be
      implemented today via the threaded/worker MPM in mod_perl 2 / Apache 2.

      The trick here would be to set PerlInterpMax to 1, and ServerLimit 1,
      so that only one thread could run a perl or Apache::ASP script at a time,
      leaving the other threads to do the rest, so ThreadsPerChild would be set high.

      The setting you suggest SingletonMaxReqs is implemented via the normal
      Apache MaxRequestsPerChild.

      In order to isolate this singleton server from the rest of mod_perl, one
      could have a dedicated server running these requests on a high port and
      have Apache mod_proxy/mod_rewrite ProxyPass only certain requests to
      that server, but if you were not using other mod_perl handlers, then
      this would not be a necessary set up.

      Please make sure to CC the Apache::ASP mailing list on future topics
      so we can get these discussions going in the general community.