Re: Large Select Box Selection Error

  • Steve Lilley
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2003
      After further investigation and testing. The solution to the long
      select box was in the platform rather than the interface. We moved to
      Debian with Apache 1.3.27 and off of Apache 2.0 and RedHat. The problem
      has disappeared completely. I tested 10,000 select options with no
      problem. The latest release of mod_perl_1.99 may be the issue, however
      we have not investigated far enough to determine the exact cause.
      Currently we know it works on Apache 1.3.27 and mod_perl 1.3.27.
      Unfortunately our development schedule will not allow us to investigate
      further.

      Steve

      Josh Chamas wrote:

      > Steve Lilley wrote:
      >
      >> Here are my summarized script results. I have no idea what the "te"
      >> is. The more x's I put in the fewer test select box results I get.
      >> If I put in 7 x's the loop runs to 164. but does not print the value.
      >>
      >> The odd thing is that in IE 6 will make it to 901, Mozilla makes it
      >> to 163 and lynx it makes it to 809.
      >>

      > Would you send me privately the output you get from "View Source" for
      > both
      > scripts under Mozilla? Is the "View Source" output different vs. IE or
      > just the rendering of the source?
      >
      > --Josh
      >

      >> Form Results
      >> -------------------------------------
      >> test = ARRAY(0x87184ac)
      >> 1. 1
      >> 2. 2
      >> 3. 3
      >> 161. 161
      >> 162. 162
      >> 163. 163
      >> te =
      >> sx = xxxxxxxxxx
      >>
      >> Josh Chamas wrote:
      >>
      >>> What do you mean it craps out? I have written select boxes in
      >>> Apache::ASP
      >>> that have had 5000+ entries in them, so I know it can do it, but would
      >>> like to know what kind of problem you are experiencing in particular.
      >>> Also, does the problem manifest cross browser, or is this particular
      >>> to IE or Mozilla?
      >>>
      >>> --Josh

      Steve Lilley, CISSP
      slilley@...
      Direct - 972.661.9456
      www.haisolutions.com

      The information contained in this email message and any attachments
      thereto, is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
      recipient(s) named above. This message may be under the terms of a
      Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement communication and/or work product and as
      such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is
      not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to
      the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
      this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution,
      or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
      this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email, and
      delete the original message.