newbie install/config questions.

  • Brad Olin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi guys,

      Let me first say I'm no expert, but I bumble well. I have a redhat 7.3
      box that I compiled apache(1.3.26) and mod_perl(1.27) into some time
      ago.

      I today downloaded and installed Apache::ASP via the CPAN method that is
      documented on the web page. The quick start area of the install page
      says to `cp -rpd ./site $DOCUMENT_ROOT/asp` however I could not find any
      such directory. i.e. `find /usr -type d -name site -print` didn't
      return anything. Nor did `find /root/.cpan -type d -name site -print`

      Okay, so I went to http://www.apache-asp.org/eg/index.html and did a
      wget for each link found there (some were followed and then wget'd).

      The problem is I can't seem to get the tests to run. One of the error
      outputs is attached. What it looks like to me is it tries to compile
      global.asa and has a problem with line 2, which contains "use DemoASP;"
      I can't fine that file, nor DemoASP.pm, anyplace. Can anybody give me a
      clue, or if it's just as simple as a missing file, the URL of the
      missing file?

      Thanks in advance
      Brad

      --
      "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
      character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

      Bradley W. Olin http://www.bwo1.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
        Brad Olin wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > Let me first say I'm no expert, but I bumble well. I have a redhat 7.3
        > box that I compiled apache(1.3.26) and mod_perl(1.27) into some time
        > ago.
        >
        > I today downloaded and installed Apache::ASP via the CPAN method that is
        > documented on the web page. The quick start area of the install page
        > says to `cp -rpd ./site $DOCUMENT_ROOT/asp` however I could not find any
        > such directory. i.e. `find /usr -type d -name site -print` didn't
        > return anything. Nor did `find /root/.cpan -type d -name site -print`

        $DOCUMENT_ROOT refers to your DocumentRoot setting location in the httpd.conf
        which could be anything, often is /usr/local/apache/htdocs

        > Okay, so I went to http://www.apache-asp.org/eg/index.html and did a
        > wget for each link found there (some were followed and then wget'd).

        This won't work as you discovered, you need to copy the entire ./eg examples
        directory from the distribution for the examples to work.

        > The problem is I can't seem to get the tests to run. One of the error
        > outputs is attached. What it looks like to me is it tries to compile
        > global.asa and has a problem with line 2, which contains "use DemoASP;"
        > I can't fine that file, nor DemoASP.pm, anyplace. Can anybody give me a
        > clue, or if it's just as simple as a missing file, the URL of the
        > missing file?

        Right, DemoASP.pm for example is loaded from global.asa and resides
        at ./site/eg/DemoASP.pm, you will need to copy everything including
        the .htaccess from the distribution ./site/eg to get the examples
        to work.