Mailing from the ASP Page.

  • pkunal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
      All,

      After lot of consideration and confusion I have decided to go for
      mailing using the Apache::ASP object $Server->Mail

      I put this code into my file:

      Mail sending Trial

      <%
      use Net::SMTP;
      use Net::Config;

      $Server->Mail({
      To => 'email1@...',
      From => 'pkunal@...',
      Subject => 'Subject of Email',
      Body => 'Body of message. You might have a lot to say
      here!',
      Organization => 'Your Organization',
      CC => 'pkunal@...',
      BCC => 'pkunal@...',
      Debug => 0 || 1,
      });

      %>

      Mail sent.

      And I did not see the mail going. I have the Net::SMTP and
      Net::Config installed and have the following in my httpd.conf file:

      PerlSetVar MailHost localhost

      Please let me know what is missing or what am I doing wrong. I have a
      Windows 98 system.

      Thanks,
      Kunal Parekh.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
        pkunal wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > After lot of consideration and confusion I have decided to go for
        > mailing using the Apache::ASP object $Server->Mail

        Try setting "PerlSetVar Debug -1", and see what is in your error_log
        when the email is attempted. Its likely that you do not have a SMTP
        server running on localhost, and you need to have MailHost config
        pointed to a working SMTP server.

      • pkunal
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
          I tried exactly what you suggested and I modified my asp page too. It
          is now like this:

          Mail sending Trial

          <%
          use Net::SMTP;
          use Net::Config;
          %>

          <%
          %myMail = (
          To => 'myself@...',
          From => 'pkunal@...',
          Subject => 'Subject of Email',
          Body => 'Body of message. You might have a lot to say
          here!',
          Organization => 'Your Organization',
          CC => 'pkunal@...',
          BCC => 'pkunal@...',
          Debug => 0 || 1,
          );

          $Server->Mail(\%myMail);

          foreach $key (keys %myMail)

          {
          %>
          <%=$myMail{$key}%>
          <% }%>

          Mail sent.

          I put in the "PerlSetVar Debug -1" and checked the error_log file.

          The error message is:

          [Tue Jun 17 17:27:43 2003] [error] [asp] [309937] [error] Can't use
          string ("localhost") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use at
          C:/Perl/site/lib//Net/SMTP.pm line 33. <--> ,
          C:/Perl/site/lib/Apache/ASP.pm line 1491

          I checked line 33 of SMTP.pm:

          sub new
          {
          my $self = shift;
          my $type = ref($self) || $self;
          my $host = shift if @_ % 2;
          my %arg = @_;
          my $hosts = defined $host ? [ $host ] : $NetConfig{smtp_hosts};
          my $obj;

          my $h;
          foreach $h (@{$hosts}) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Line 33
          {
          $obj = $type->SUPER::new(PeerAddr => ($host = $h),
          PeerPort => $arg{Port} || 'smtp(25)',
          LocalAddr => $arg{LocalAddr},
          LocalPort => $arg{LocalPort},
          Proto => 'tcp',
          Timeout => defined $arg{Timeout}
          ? $arg{Timeout}
          : 120
          ) and last;
          }

          I have no clue as to whats wrong.....certainly looks like I am
          missing something to set in my ASP Page related to SMTP server.

          Please assist with this.

          Thanks,
          Kunal Parekh.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
            This might be a bug in how Apache::ASP uses Net::SMTP for the $Server->Mail
            API. I am not sure why it would be breaking for you know, but I can look
            into it. Maybe this has to do with a newer version of Net::SMTP I suspect.

            Until this is fixed in Apache::ASP, you can just use the Net::SMTP API directly,
            so don't bother with the $Server->Mail API for now. I'll contact you when
            I know more about the $Server->Mail problem.

          • pkunal
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2003
              All,

              My problem is solved for now.

              I am using "smtp.netzero.net" for my smtp server and Net::SMTP for
              mailing.

              Have set in my Apache httpd.conf file:

              "PerlSetVer MailHosts smtp.netzero.net"

              However this is not a perfect solution and further investigation
              needs to be done as to why I could not use "localhost" as my smtp
              server.

              But for now I am happy atleast I can send mails from my ASP page.

              Anyone stuck with this or need help on this contact me at:
              pkunal@...

              My Operating system is Windows 98.