CPAN and Apache::ASP question

  • Farshid Dabesh-Khoy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2003

      Hi,

      This may seem like a trivial question to some, but I am trying to install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN.

      Where is the Apache::ASP bundle meant to be installed??? Is it meant to be installed into the directory where I have installed Apache? I am a bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the modules into directories of its own choice. How can I tell it where to install them.

      I am using Apache 2.0.46 with mod_perl enabled on Solaris 2.8.

      I am very new to all this, so I’m sorry if I am missing something quite trivial.

      Regards

      Farshid Dabesh-Khoy

    • Philip Mak
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2003
        On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 06:53:33PM +0100, Farshid Dabesh-Khoy wrote:
        > Where is the Apache::ASP bundle meant to be installed??? Is it meant
        > to be installed into the directory where I have installed Apache? I
        > am a bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the
        > modules into directories of its own choice. How can I tell it where
        > to install them.

        Apache::ASP should work if let CPAN install it in the place that it
        wants to, which should be something like
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Bundle/Apache/ASP.pm.

        That is the standard place to put all Perl modules, including
        Apache::ASP.

      • Warren Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2003
          Farshid Dabesh-Khoy wrote:
          > I am a
          > bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the modules into
          > directories of its own choice.

          It's not important for _you_ to be able to find the modules, it's
          important for _Perl_ to be able to find them. Therefore, CPAN puts
          modules into directories where Perl will look for them.

          > How can I tell it where to install them.

          Depending on the way the package is structured, it may be possible for
          you to tell it to install into a directory of your choice without too
          much trouble. You will then have to make special efforts when using
          that module to tell Perl where to find it.

          Is it really worth the pain?