Re: session data slowdown

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2003
      raystormphd wrote:

      > data1=$Session->{'key1'}
      > data2=$Session->{'key2'}
      > data3=$Session->{'key3'}
      >
      > Does each statement cause a freeze/thaw of the whole Session data
      > structure to/from disk?

      No, each one does its own freeze/thaw just for that key / value pair.

      > In your code, you make one read only copy. Does this cause only one
      > thaw? This is why your proposed trick would help, right?

      The idea behind that is if you are just using it to look up lots of
      global values & db data, which is not recommended anyway, you might
      just init an in memory hash to reference in your code instead of
      going to the $Session each time, so perhaps better to...

      $Session->Lock;
      $SessionCopy = { %$Session };
      $Session->UnLock;
      $SessionCopy->{KEY};
      $SessionCopy->{KEY};
      $SessionCopy->{KEY};

      than to:

      $Session->{KEY}
      $Session->{KEY}
      $Session->{KEY}

      but really better is to do this...

      my $value = $Session->{KEY};
      $value;
      $value;

      Like I said, a lot of it depends on how you are programming. But overall,
      you want to make as few calls getting as little data from $Session as possible.