Re: A suggestion

    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 12:06 AM
      Richard Curtis wrote:
      > Hi.
      > Having been lurking on this list for some time, there appear to be quite
      > a few people who seem to think that Apache-ASP is a replacement for IIS.
      > I.e. That Apache-ASP will run scripts designed for IIS using vbscript.

      Yes, unfortunely some think that ASP means VBScript. :(

      > If it would not pose any overhead (or if it is even possible), how about
      > adding some logic that can detect VBScript, and rather than simply
      > presenting the user with a syntax error, present them with a more detailed
      > page, or even a link, to explain that Apache-ASP is perl and not vbscript ?

      It would be hard to detect this properly, about as hard as actually supporting
      VBScript itself, which has been a work in progress.

      > It is just a thought as it might help to point out to these users that what
      > they are trying to do is not possible with Apache-ASP, which will in turn
      > save a lot of both their time, and the time of people who reply to the list.

      Recently, I have been pleased with the lack of traffic of this nature.
      I apologize for the confusion, and the wasted time the name has caused
      people, but if they would just read the first line of the project description
      in any README, project web page, etc, it says right there that its
      for perl scripting.

      > Just my thoughts. I dont mean to offend by making the suggestion - I am
      > very pleased with Apache-ASP but it just seems that this is a common
      > misunderstanding and if it is a simple fix to recognise vbscript, then a lot
      > of time can be saved.

      No offense. Thanks for thinking about this and offering your suggestion.