Re: Painting a Tempory Page & Authentication

    Message 1 of 4 , May 19 11:31 PM
      Mike Witkowski wrote:

      > What would really be great is if I could somehow dynamically
      > update the painted page (or at least produce that illusion)
      > in a way that is similar to the way interlaced Gifs work.

      There are varying approaches to this problem. For the multi-frame approach,
      check out...

      https://www.nodeworks.com/site_size_top.htm

      The bottom frame will draw the middle frame HTML with javascript as
      the processing commences.

      Another approach people have a page request itself with varying params
      and it will reload itself with meta-refresh checking the actual process
      which you executed in the background via fork, or $Server->RegisterCleanup.
      Once the process is done running, your page will detect this change and
      render the final report.

      > A second issue is controlling user authentication for the whole
      > web application and allowing password changes. An old DB-Admin
      > and initial creater of some apps implimented a 4 digit PIN which
      > ius stored in clear text (UGGG !!! -factorial-). Does anyone know
      > of a relatively self-contaned package out there that will handle
      > authentication and encription for a Web-application or that is
      > easily adapted to a Web interface?

      Might be a little basic for your needs, but you could use Apache's own htpasswd,
      and auth mechanisms.