Installing from scratch Apache + mod_perl + Apache::ASP (+maybe others) on unix

  • timj_moore
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2002
      Okay, I'm having a nightmare trying to install all this on both
      Solaris and AIX. I'm finding the different installation methods for
      each very confusing (and not only that but documentation and posts on
      newsgroups all seem to vary in install methods).

      First I started off with Apache, and managed to get that built. Spent
      a huge amount of time installing frontpage extensions and
      patching/rebuilding Apache for that, but got that working. Then
      looked at Apache::ASP.

      So then I need mod_perl. Downloaded that and tried building it but it
      decides to rebuild Apache it's own way and I can't then work out how
      to get the frontpage extensions in. Okay, I'll live without the fp
      extensions (only useful so I can edit using InterDev on PC), but I
      may have to build in other modules later (SSL for example).

      Right, now for Apache::ASP.

      Kick off the 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' command, do 'install
      Bundle::Apache::ASP' and all hell breaks loose. It seems to go off
      installing loads of other packages some of which have errors in. I
      don't know what they are because they all scroll off the screen and I
      just can't get anywhere with it. I don't know much about the perl
      shell thing and I don't have time to learn it if it's going to take
      weeks to understand.

      I've tried different approaches by downloading manually and running
      the Makefile.PL through perl, but that tells me I need things it
      depends on.

      Does anyone have a very simple set of instructions (an 'idiots
      guide', especially aimed at someone who's more of a Windows/IIS
      expert than unix/apache) for installing Apache + mod_perl +
      Apache::ASP that will work every time, including what I need to check
      for on my system (the right permissions, though I'm running as root
      to install, environment variables, required components and files,
      should I be using gcc or not, etc).

      Better still, are there pre-built binaries with the whole lot I can
      download?

      I'm a little concerned about using the perl shell thing as this would
      have to be installed on customer sites. I really need a simple
      installer that can be packaged up with anything we ship to customers.
      Talking of which, how does the licencing stand for shipping
      Apache::ASP as part of any product we make?

      All I want to do is evaluate Apache::ASP but I'm at a loss as to how
      to install it and I'm afraid I'll have to abandon it as a solution
      just because I can't get it running.

      As far as I know the Sun and AIX boxes are set up it their default
      configurations.

      If anyone wants to debug my Apache::ASP install hassles I can post
      some sort of log file if there is one but I don't know if there is or
      how to get to it.

      Thanks in advance for any help/tips.

    • Rod Butcher
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2002
        This is exactly what I was alluding to in my previous post, and even
        professionals are being driven mad, despite reading the Guide (which despite
        being complete is still mysterious, it comes across as having a mission
        statement to contain everything rather than to be useful, sorry). My .05 is
        that all development be stopped until the instal process is up to the same
        standard as M$. This is what made M$ rich, the sheer installability and
        usability. I was visiting somebody yesterday and he had Win2K installing
        while we talked for an hour.
        Its no good complaining about the stupidity or laziness of M$ addicts, the
        fact that HTML and Javascript jockies are deluded enough to think they can
        contemplate installing servers. The fact is they do. And with M$ they CAN.
        And that is why corporations will continue to buy M$, rather than get bogged
        down in Harry Potter mystic rituals installing free software.
        Sorry, this is not meant to criticize anybody (certainly not Joshua,
        installing ASP was the least problem), everybody's tried really hard. I'm
        available to help if I can, if you need an unsophisticated pro to test
        stuff. But please, we need a professional approach to this issue now or
        somebody else other than M$ will do it.
        regards, Rod
        >Okay, I'm having a nightmare trying to install all this on both
        >Solaris and AIX. I'm finding the different installation methods for
        >each very confusing (and not only that but documentation and posts on
        >newsgroups all seem to vary in install methods).

        snip snip

        >Does anyone have a very simple set of instructions (an 'idiots
        >guide', especially aimed at someone who's more of a Windows/IIS
        >expert than unix/apache) for installing Apache + mod_perl +
        >Apache::ASP that will work every time, including what I need to check
        >for on my system (the right permissions, though I'm running as root
        >to install, environment variables, required components and files,
        >should I be using gcc or not, etc).

      • Ged Haywood
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2002
          Hi there,

          On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Rod Butcher wrote:

          > professionals are being driven mad, despite reading the Guide (which despite
          > being complete is still mysterious, it comes across as having a mission
          > statement to contain everything rather than to be useful, sorry).

          Patches, chapters, help are always welcome I'm sure.

          > My .05 is that all development be stopped until the instal process
          > is up to the same standard as M$. This is what made M$ rich, the
          > sheer installability and usability. I was visiting somebody
          > yesterday and he had Win2K installing while we talked for an hour.

          Yeah, I had a car like that once, but I got rid of it.

          When I installed the operating system on a Mac last year it took
          about three minutes - including all the tools, browsers and wotnot
          that you could wish for - with no intervention from me at all.
          After the pain I've been through with some W1nd0ze installations
          it was very refreshing. So I guess what I'm saying is that there's
          a lot more to it than that, or Apple would be ruling the world.

          73,
          Ged.

        • Paul Lindner
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2002
            Two things,

            First check out http://www.apachetoolbox.com/ About as out-of-the-box
            as you can get. Last time I tried it seemed to 'do the right thing'
            for me.

            For mod_perl specifics you might also check out chapter 1 of the
            "mod_perl Developer's Cookbook". I think it's a pretty good stab at
            showing a novice how to compile and install apache+mod_perl (though
            not mod_ssl... alas) The complete chapter is online at
            http://www.modperlcookbook.org/

            Regards,
            Paul

            --
            Paul Lindner lindner@... ||||| | | | | | | | | |

            mod_perl Developer's Cookbook http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
            Human Rights Declaration http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/index.htm

          • Robert Friberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
              Hi Tim,

              <flameproof>AIX is unix hell :=)</flameproof>

              Solaris 8 and better ships with a binary apache
              with a statically linked mod_perl, the following doc
              will guide you:

              http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch01.pdf

              If you just want to evaluate Apache::ASP you might consider
              installing on Linux or even on Windows.

              mvh,
              #---------------------------------------------------
              # Robert Friberg java,xml,perl,uml,sql,delphi,
              # +46733839080 c/c++,vb,wap,php,linux,apache
              #
              # www.ensofus.se konsulting,internetsystem,
              # Ensofus AB utbildning, Miljö Online
              #---------------------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 8, 2002
                timj_moore wrote:

                > Okay, I'm having a nightmare trying to install all this on both
                > Solaris and AIX. I'm finding the different installation methods for
                > each very confusing (and not only that but documentation and posts on
                > newsgroups all seem to vary in install methods).

                There is the mod_perl guide, there is Apache Toolbox, there is the
                recently released mod_perl cookbook ( http://www.modperlcookbook.org/ ),
                and there is even the script that I include in the distribution at
                make_httpd/build_httpds.sh that shows a sample build of it all, but
                at the end of the day, building mod_perl can be hard. I get that.
                My first build back in 1998 was no joy. And every build since has
                only gotten a little better.

                I would love to be able to provide prebuilt installations with
                perl/apache/mod_perl/Apache::ASP but I don't have the time.
                Should anyone else put together such a package, like Randy did
                for Win32 systems, I would welcome the links, and I can post them
                as part of the docs.

                > Kick off the 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' command, do 'install
                > Bundle::Apache::ASP' and all hell breaks loose. It seems to go off
                > installing loads of other packages some of which have errors in. I
                > don't know what they are because they all scroll off the screen and I
                > just can't get anywhere with it. I don't know much about the perl
                > shell thing and I don't have time to learn it if it's going to take
                > weeks to understand.

                For someone new to perl, CPAN may seem a bit bizarre. It is. And
                the bundles add to the confusion for sure. Because of this, I recently
                added a section to the install docs at

                http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Download%20ande85d4394

                that says:

                If you have trouble installing the bundle,
                then try installing the necessary modules one at a time:

                cpan> install Data::Dumper
                cpan> install MLDBM
                cpan> install MLDBM::Sync
                cpan> install Digest::MD5
                cpan> install Apache::ASP

                If you ever start to do heavy perl development, you will start to
                appreciate CPAN for sure, with its near 10,000 modules, it is a
                pandora's box of code reusability.

                > I'm a little concerned about using the perl shell thing as this would
                > have to be installed on customer sites. I really need a simple
                > installer that can be packaged up with anything we ship to customers.

                If you want to create an installer with Apache::ASP on one platform,
                I would build everything needed mod_perl, perl, apache & all the
                perl libs as one package, and installed in something like
                /usr/local/your-companies-product ... I am no experts at creating
                installers, but I would not rely on a locally built apache & perl,
                but would ship my own that I could verify working.

                > Talking of which, how does the licencing stand for shipping
                > Apache::ASP as part of any product we make?

                Apache::ASP is licensed GPL, see the LICENSE file for more detail.
                My current interpretation of the GPL is as follows:

                Apache::ASP is "free" open source software.
                You cannot sell Apache::ASP, or any extensions you might
                make to the core libraries. Extensions made to the core libraries
                also become GPL when they are released, and also cannot be sold.

                You can however sell a web product, or set of scripts & modules
                that are unique to your product that Apache::ASP interprets &
                executes. The GPL does not apply to your work product that simply
                uses Apache::ASP to run & interpret it. You are not compiling
                code that statically links Apache::ASP, if you were that would
                change things.

                You can also distribute Apache::ASP freely in a distribution
                that you sell as long as you are selling other things besides
                Apache::ASP, like support, or your web product. If you wanted
                to sell Apache::ASP & extensions that you make to it, or wanted
                to release your product in such a way that Apache::ASP was
                not open source, then we could work on some alternative licensing
                for your company that was other than GPL.

                Good luck!

              • timj_moore
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2002
                  Not sure what happened to my reply I posted, and I can't be bothered
                  to type it all in again, but in short I got it working after a *lot*
                  of hassle.

                  I did write exactly how I got it installed, but I can't remember it
                  all now. Anyway, what I do know is it involved a lot more steps than
                  in the instructions (including those at apache-asp.org which I had
                  been trying from the start).

                  In particular I had to get the perl shell to download a lot of extra
                  stuff (especially LWP), and manually install some stuff that the
                  shell wouldn't do itself (EXPAT which was required for mod_perl I
                  think). I think I even had to do an 'install Apache' because mod_perl
                  or something was looking for Apache entries in some perl
                  folder/database/whatever. Didn't want to do that because it just goes
                  and installs mod_perl and builds Apache without any chance of me
                  configuring it how I want. Anyway, I then built mod_perl & Apache by
                  hand.

                  What I can recommend though is getting the source for apache &
                  mod_perl, and building mod_perl with the PREP_HTTPD=1 option which
                  prevents mod_perl from building apache but builds mod_perl. This
                  means you can go and build apache how you like and not how mod_perl
                  likes (I find that really annoying that mod_perl by default assumes
                  you'll just build apache to only ever use mod_perl! In fact I don't
                  like mod_perl trying to build apache for you).

                  In the end I built mod_perl first, then built apache with all the
                  addons I needed (inc. frontpage extensions on Sun, although that's
                  another huge hassle, but I can say the fp patch for 1.3.22 works on
                  apache 1.3.23 also). Finally I did the perl shell stuff but it
                  required a lot of repeated attempts to install each component,
                  sometimes having to drop out and manually build things, a few 'force
                  install's.

                  *not* easy.

                  Oh, and licencing isn't an issue now because we're not shipping the
                  stuff, just requiring customers to go through all the hassle of
                  installing it and we'll just ship our web app instead ;-).

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2002
                    timj_moore wrote:

                    > Not sure what happened to my reply I posted, and I can't be bothered
                    > to type it all in again, but in short I got it working after a *lot*
                    > of hassle.
                    >
                    > I did write exactly how I got it installed, but I can't remember it
                    > all now. Anyway, what I do know is it involved a lot more steps than
                    > in the instructions (including those at apache-asp.org which I had
                    > been trying from the start).
                    >
                    > In particular I had to get the perl shell to download a lot of extra
                    > stuff (especially LWP), and manually install some stuff that the

                    Apache::ASP stopped requiring LWP for HTTP::Date with version 2.31
                    I believe. mod_perl test suite still requires LWP though.
                    Doing 'make test' for mod_perl almost never completely works for me,
                    so I tend to not run it anymore.

                    > shell wouldn't do itself (EXPAT which was required for mod_perl I
                    > think). I think I even had to do an 'install Apache' because mod_perl

                    Once you install mod_perl, Apache::* modules are installed already.
                    I would be surprised if CPAN thought otherwise. Maybe CPAN picked
                    up on something that needed Apache::* modules for something like
                    Apache::SSI ??? I try to make Apache::ASP installable outside
                    of Apache/mod_perl so maybe it was some addon module that
                    triggered this?

                    > What I can recommend though is getting the source for apache &
                    > mod_perl, and building mod_perl with the PREP_HTTPD=1 option which
                    > prevents mod_perl from building apache but builds mod_perl. This
                    > means you can go and build apache how you like and not how mod_perl
                    > likes (I find that really annoying that mod_perl by default assumes
                    > you'll just build apache to only ever use mod_perl! In fact I don't
                    > like mod_perl trying to build apache for you).

                    I have compiled mod_perl just fine before using the apxs approach
                    though I am not sure if that is the same as PREP_HTTPD. I believe
                    with apxs it compiled mod_perl as a DSO install, which I try to
                    avoid generally, but worked that one time. You might be talking
                    about something else... since I only ever need mod_perl in my Apache,
                    I have never tried to document the other approaches.

                    Did you ever try to use ApacheToolbox for any of this? I sounds
                    like it works just fine for lots of people. The hard part
                    is installing mod_perl I think.

                    > *not* easy.

                    About the CPAN install, as of Apache::ASP v2.31, the Bundle::Apache::ASP
                    only requires the basic packages, and one has to install
                    Bundle::Apache::ASP::Extra for the full suite of hard to
                    install programs. Did any of the core packages like MLDBM::Sync
                    or Digest::MD5 present any problems?

                    I'll building a new Linux box in the next couple months, and
                    will try the mod_perl + Apache::ASP install from scratch
                    and see if I can't provide any better notes from this. If you
                    or anyone has some docs to contribute to the current
                    set for Apache::ASP, please send them over.

                  • Cameron Clark
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2002
                      Hey there (Joshua),

                      I noticed your mention of building a linux box and doing a scratch install
                      of apache/mod_perl/Apache::ASP. I'm in the middle of just that and I'm
                      having some issues....

                      I'm using a virgin install of RedHat on a VA linux server. I uninstalled
                      the RPMed Apache that was loaded with the OS. I got the apache.1.3.22
                      sources and the mod_perl 1.26 sources and built apache with mod_perl...by
                      all accounts that seems to be working. I ran a couple of tests as listed on
                      the mod_perl project site to verify that the mod_perl build of apache was
                      running (checking the logs, telnetting to it, etc). That all seems to be fine.

                      Then I did the compile/install of Apache::ASP as listed on your site

                      > perl Makefile.PL
                      > make
                      > make test
                      > make install

                      and that seems to go through OK.

                      It is, however, after this that I get confused. Keep in mind I'm a newbie
                      to this. This is my first non-RPM install of Apache or its modules. Am I
                      correct in understanding that all I need to do to make Apache::ASP work is
                      copy the contents of ./site/eg to my server doc root
                      (/usr/local/apache/htdocs) and add the following to httpd.conf and restart
                      httpd?

                      <Directory / >
                      Options FollowSymLinks
                      AllowOverride All
                      </Directory>

                      Do I also add

                      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
                      SetHandler perl-script
                      PerlModule Apache::ASP
                      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
                      PerlSetVar Global .
                      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
                      </Files>

                      at this point?

                      So I tried that and restart the daemon and the ASP pages I have either show
                      garbled output or return a 500 internal server error... Here's what my log
                      states. Its beginning to look like a permissions thing but I don't know
                      where to take it from here:

                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:39 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_perl/1.26
                      configured -- resuming normal operations
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:39 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
                      /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec)
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:39 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:43 2002] [error] [asp] [30044] [error] can't create group
                      dir /tmp/asp/server: Permission denied, /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6
                      .0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5063
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:43 2002] [error] can't open file
                      /tmp/asp/server/internal.lock: Permission denied at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync
                      .pm line 234.
                      MLDBM::Sync::Lock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a2cc)', 1) called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 226
                      MLDBM::Sync::ReadLock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a2cc)') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 77
                      MLDBM::Sync::AUTOLOAD('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a2cc)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5242
                      Apache::ASP::State::FETCH('Apache::ASP::State=HASH(0x8501384)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm li
                      ne 4975
                      Apache::ASP::State::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x84a1744)',
                      'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5229
                      Apache::ASP::State::TIEHASH('Apache::ASP::State',
                      'Apache::ASP=HASH(0x84a1744)', 'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line
                      4551
                      Apache::ASP::Application::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x84a1744)')
                      called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 562
                      Apache::ASP::new('Apache::ASP', 'Apache=SCALAR(0x84b1c50)') called
                      at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 148
                      Apache::ASP::handler('Apache=SCALAR(0x84b1c50)') called at
                      /dev/null line 0
                      require 0 called at /dev/null line 0

                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:45 2002] [error] [asp] [30044] [error] can't create group
                      dir /tmp/asp/server: Permission denied,
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5063
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:45 2002] [error] can't open file
                      /tmp/asp/server/internal.lock: Permission denied at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 234.
                      MLDBM::Sync::Lock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a314)', 1) called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 226
                      MLDBM::Sync::ReadLock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a314)',
                      'MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a314)') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 77
                      MLDBM::Sync::AUTOLOAD('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x850a314)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5242
                      Apache::ASP::State::FETCH('Apache::ASP::State=HASH(0x8503524)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 4975
                      Apache::ASP::State::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x8508248)',
                      'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5229
                      Apache::ASP::State::TIEHASH('Apache::ASP::State',
                      'Apache::ASP=HASH(0x8508248)', 'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line
                      4551
                      Apache::ASP::Application::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x8508248)')
                      called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 562
                      Apache::ASP::new('Apache::ASP', 'Apache=SCALAR(0x84ac4dc)') called
                      at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 148
                      Apache::ASP::handler('Apache=SCALAR(0x84ac4dc)') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 234
                      require 0 called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm
                      line 234

                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:57 2002] [error] [asp] [30045] [error] can't create group
                      dir /tmp/asp/server: Permission denied,
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5063
                      [Wed Feb 27 03:28:57 2002] [error] can't open file
                      /tmp/asp/server/internal.lock: Permission denied at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 234.
                      MLDBM::Sync::Lock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x81ba300)', 1) called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 226
                      MLDBM::Sync::ReadLock('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x81ba300)') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 77
                      MLDBM::Sync::AUTOLOAD('MLDBM::Sync=HASH(0x81ba300)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5242
                      Apache::ASP::State::FETCH('Apache::ASP::State=HASH(0x8329338)',
                      'application') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 4975
                      Apache::ASP::State::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x849ee64)',
                      'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 5229
                      Apache::ASP::State::TIEHASH('Apache::ASP::State',
                      'Apache::ASP=HASH(0x849ee64)', 'application', 'server') called at
                      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line
                      4551
                      Apache::ASP::Application::new('Apache::ASP=HASH(0x849ee64)')
                      called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 562
                      Apache::ASP::new('Apache::ASP', 'Apache=SCALAR(0x84ac4dc)') called
                      at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Apache/ASP.pm line 148
                      Apache::ASP::handler('Apache=SCALAR(0x84ac4dc)') called at
                      /dev/null line 0
                      require 0 called at /dev/null line 0

                      Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

                      -Cameron

                    • Jim Helm
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2002
                        When you copied the contents, did you get the .* files as well? If you
                        didn't, that's most likely your problem... The examples need the
                        .htaccess file (and maybe others) to function correctly.

                        --Jim

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 27, 2002
                          Glad the .htaccess at least made the main sample page work, but it
                          appears at the very least that you (or rather the user the server is
                          running as) don't have permission to create/write to /tmp/asp. Maybe it
                          exists and isn't writable by the apache process?

                          BTW, don't forget to reply to all, so the rest of the list can
                          particpate too.

                          -- Jim