Painting a Tempory Page & Authentication

  • Mike Witkowski
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2003
      Hello All:

      I'm new to this list and not-too-experienced with ASP. I hope you
      all won't find my questions too simple or annoying. Thanks in
      advance for any help or pointers any of you can provide me with.

      I'm developing an application that has as one of its components
      the ability to change a variety of system passwords. I have a
      perl-expect application that queries systems and returns a good
      deal of information and can change passwords automatically. The
      problem is that there can be a significant delay depending on
      the network, system status, expect connections, timeouts and the
      like. It would be really neat if I could some how paint a page
      while the server code was processing (indicating that the user
      may have to wait a few seconds -- typically 10 - 20 sec +/-)
      then repaint the results page when it was finished. This is for
      an average of 10 systems. There are ways I can make that code
      a good deal more efficient but there will always be "real/noticable"
      delays present (unless someone knows something I don't).

      What would really be great is if I could somehow dynamically
      update the painted page (or at least produce that illusion)
      in a way that is similar to the way interlaced Gifs work.

      A second issue is controlling user authentication for the whole
      web application and allowing password changes. An old DB-Admin
      and initial creater of some apps implimented a 4 digit PIN which
      ius stored in clear text (UGGG !!! -factorial-). Does anyone know
      of a relatively self-contaned package out there that will handle
      authentication and encription for a Web-application or that is
      easily adapted to a Web interface?

      Any information or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

      Michael Witkowski
      ---
      301.286.3887
      ---

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2003
        Mike Witkowski wrote:

        >Hello All:
        >
        > I'm new to this list and not-too-experienced with ASP. I hope you
        > all won't find my questions too simple or annoying. Thanks in
        > advance for any help or pointers any of you can provide me with.

        Don't worry, nobody was born with the knowledge....I think...;)

        > I'm developing an application that has as one of its components
        > the ability to change a variety of system passwords. I have a
        > perl-expect application that queries systems and returns a good
        > deal of information and can change passwords automatically. The
        > problem is that there can be a significant delay depending on
        > the network, system status, expect connections, timeouts and the
        > like. It would be really neat if I could some how paint a page
        > while the server code was processing (indicating that the user
        > may have to wait a few seconds -- typically 10 - 20 sec +/-)
        > then repaint the results page when it was finished. This is for
        > an average of 10 systems. There are ways I can make that code
        > a good deal more efficient but there will always be "real/noticable"
        > delays present (unless someone knows something I don't).

        I haven't had much success with $Response->Flush, although I'm sure that
        someone will explain hoiw this works and where I've messed up.
        I do think, however, that the best, non-intrusive way for such stuff
        (other than not doing it), is to have a hidden frame do all the funny
        stuff, all the while displaying something on the other 100% wide and
        tall frame. Note however, that browsers have timeouts themselves, as
        well as the client's TCP stack, so You shouldn't take toooooooo long to
        finish your business.

        > What would really be great is if I could somehow dynamically
        > update the painted page (or at least produce that illusion)
        > in a way that is similar to the way interlaced Gifs work.

        META refresh can do that for you...or some javascript, as long as you
        follow the two frame strategy

        > A second issue is controlling user authentication for the whole
        > web application and allowing password changes. An old DB-Admin
        > and initial creater of some apps implimented a 4 digit PIN which
        > ius stored in clear text (UGGG !!! -factorial-). Does anyone know
        > of a relatively self-contaned package out there that will handle
        > authentication and encription for a Web-application or that is
        > easily adapted to a Web interface?

        search CPAN for Crypt:: modules, although I think Crypt::Simple will do
        the job for you (heck, even MIME::Base64 beats clear text hands down)

        Regards,
        Thanos Chatziathanassiou

      • Helmut Zeilinger
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2003
          Hi,

          --On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 21:16:27 +0300 Thanos Chatziathanassiou
          <tchatzi@...> wrote:

          > Mike Witkowski wrote:
          >
          >> Hello All:
          >>
          >> I'm new to this list and not-too-experienced with ASP. I hope you
          >> all won't find my questions too simple or annoying. Thanks in
          >> advance for any help or pointers any of you can provide me with.
          >>
          > Don't worry, nobody was born with the knowledge....I think...;)
          >
          >> I'm developing an application that has as one of its components
          >> the ability to change a variety of system passwords. I have a
          >> perl-expect application that queries systems and returns a good
          >> deal of information and can change passwords automatically. The
          >> problem is that there can be a significant delay depending on
          >> the network, system status, expect connections, timeouts and the
          >> like. It would be really neat if I could some how paint a page
          >> while the server code was processing (indicating that the user
          >> may have to wait a few seconds -- typically 10 - 20 sec +/-)
          >> then repaint the results page when it was finished. This is for
          >> an average of 10 systems. There are ways I can make that code
          >> a good deal more efficient but there will always be "real/noticable"
          >> delays present (unless someone knows something I don't).
          >>
          > I haven't had much success with $Response->Flush, although I'm sure that
          > someone will explain hoiw this works and where I've messed up.

          As far as my expirience is, the output of a "$Response->Flush()" is
          displayed
          immedately by browsers (IE 6, NS 7) only if you DON'T write into a table.
          You have to write
          directly into the HTML page's body and separate newlines by a <p>..</p>
          construct (<br/> also
          works).

          "Server Push" should also be a possibility, but i never got this to work
          with IE! (Don't know why)

          > I do
          > think, however, that the best, non-intrusive way for such stuff (other
          > than not doing it), is to have a hidden frame do all the funny stuff, all
          > the while displaying something on the other 100% wide and tall frame.
          > Note however, that browsers have timeouts themselves, as well as the
          > client's TCP stack, so You shouldn't take toooooooo long to finish your
          > business.
          >
          >> What would really be great is if I could somehow dynamically
          >> update the painted page (or at least produce that illusion)
          >> in a way that is similar to the way interlaced Gifs work.
          >>
          > META refresh can do that for you...or some javascript, as long as you
          > follow the two frame strategy
          >
          >> A second issue is controlling user authentication for the whole
          >> web application and allowing password changes. An old DB-Admin
          >> and initial creater of some apps implimented a 4 digit PIN which
          >> ius stored in clear text (UGGG !!! -factorial-). Does anyone know
          >> of a relatively self-contaned package out there that will handle
          >> authentication and encription for a Web-application or that is
          >> easily adapted to a Web interface?
          >>
          > search CPAN for Crypt:: modules, although I think Crypt::Simple will do
          > the job for you (heck, even MIME::Base64 beats clear text hands down)
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thanos Chatziathanassiou

          Helmut

          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2003
            Mike Witkowski wrote:

            > What would really be great is if I could somehow dynamically
            > update the painted page (or at least produce that illusion)
            > in a way that is similar to the way interlaced Gifs work.

            There are varying approaches to this problem. For the multi-frame approach,
            check out...

            https://www.nodeworks.com/site_size_top.htm

            The bottom frame will draw the middle frame HTML with javascript as
            the processing commences.

            Another approach people have a page request itself with varying params
            and it will reload itself with meta-refresh checking the actual process
            which you executed in the background via fork, or $Server->RegisterCleanup.
            Once the process is done running, your page will detect this change and
            render the final report.

            > A second issue is controlling user authentication for the whole
            > web application and allowing password changes. An old DB-Admin
            > and initial creater of some apps implimented a 4 digit PIN which
            > ius stored in clear text (UGGG !!! -factorial-). Does anyone know
            > of a relatively self-contaned package out there that will handle
            > authentication and encription for a Web-application or that is
            > easily adapted to a Web interface?

            Might be a little basic for your needs, but you could use Apache's own htpasswd,
            and auth mechanisms.