Apache 2, Win32

  • jerry_emmett
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
      First, I tried to install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN, didn't
      work out very well, I guess you're not supposed to use that in win32?

      Or am I supposed to install gzip, lynx, wget and make in WinXP?

      Anw, I used ppm install apache-asp, through ActiveState Perl. That
      seemed to work. Not sure what it did though.

      So, mod_perl2 seems to load in my Apache2 that now reads,
      Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_09-dev Perl/v5.6.1 PHP/4.3.1
      Server

      But when I try the examples it just keeps loading and loading and
      doing nothing.

      So since I don't know what is working and what is not working I could
      really use some guidance here.

      Sincerely,
      Jerry Emmett

    • Randy Kobes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
        On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, jerry_emmett wrote:

        > First, I tried to install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN, didn't
        > work out very well, I guess you're not supposed to use that in win32?
        >
        > Or am I supposed to install gzip, lynx, wget and make in WinXP?

        For installing things on Win32 using CPAN.pm, you'd need to just
        get nmake (for ActivePerl) - unpacking archives can be done with
        Compress::Zlib and Archive::Tar, and fetching files can be done
        with Net::FTP and/or LWP, all of which are included in the
        ActivePerl distribution.

        > Anw, I used ppm install apache-asp, through ActiveState Perl. That
        > seemed to work. Not sure what it did though.
        >
        > So, mod_perl2 seems to load in my Apache2 that now reads,
        > Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_09-dev Perl/v5.6.1 PHP/4.3.1
        > Server

        That's good - it means the server started OK, and recognized
        that mod_perl was present.

        > But when I try the examples it just keeps loading and loading and
        > doing nothing.
        >
        > So since I don't know what is working and what is not working I could
        > really use some guidance here.

        Unfortunately, this problem may be a more general one that
        mod_perl 2 has when run with perl-5.6.1 (ActivePerl 6xx).
        perl-5.8.0 (ActivePerl 8xx) has better threading support under
        Win32 - is it possible to try that? I know that Apache::ASP under
        ActivePerl 8xx and mod_perl 2 works.

        --
        best regards,
        randy kobes

      • jerry_emmett
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
          Allright, yahoo automaticly sends an email, sorry for replying
          directly to you ; D

          Anw, this is the case

          Allright uninstalled perl and installed ActivePerl-5.8.0.805-MSWin32-
          x86

          did

          ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl.ppd
          C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\modules
          rep add theoryx5
          http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58
          install apache::asp

          now it reads

          Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_09-dev Perl/v5.8.0 PHP/4.3.1
          mod_jk/1.2.2-beta-1 Server

          .asp examples still generates an Internal Server Error though
          with the httpd.conf file lines,

          LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"
          PerlModule Apache2

          # PerlInterpMax 1
          KeepAlive Off
          ThreadsPerChild 1
          Alias /asp_perl "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/asp_perl/"
          PerlModule Apache::compat
          PerlModule Apache::ASP
          <Directory />
          AllowOverride All
          </Directory>

          And now the Apache2.tar.gz bundle from
          ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/ tells me it can't start because
          Perl56.dll was not found (says a popup), and the cmd line says,
          [error]
          Can't load Perl file: C:/Apache2/conf/startup.pl for server
          localhost:80,
          exiting...

          I didn't see why it thinks it have to use perl56.ddl to run
          startup.pl? The only perl65.dll I found was in httpd.conf

          LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl56.dll"

          which I changed to

          LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"

          I'm not that stupid huh : D hahah

          Anw, thanks again, thanks for letting me disturb you, and maybe you
          should put up that procedure

          install ActivePerl-5.8.0.805-MSWin32-x86
          ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl.ppd
          C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\modules
          rep add theoryx5
          http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58
          install apache::asp

          on your site so more lame Microsoft users like me can test and try
          and maybe manage to get it to work somehow, someday

          Thanks again

          Sincerely,
          Jerry

          --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Randy Kobes <randy@t...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, jerry_emmett wrote:
          >
          > > First, I tried to install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN,
          didn't
          > > work out very well, I guess you're not supposed to use that in
          win32?

          > > Or am I supposed to install gzip, lynx, wget and make in WinXP?
          >
          > For installing things on Win32 using CPAN.pm, you'd need to just
          > get nmake (for ActivePerl) - unpacking archives can be done with
          > Compress::Zlib and Archive::Tar, and fetching files can be done
          > with Net::FTP and/or LWP, all of which are included in the
          > ActivePerl distribution.
          >
          > > Anw, I used ppm install apache-asp, through ActiveState Perl.
          That
          > > seemed to work. Not sure what it did though.
          > >
          > > So, mod_perl2 seems to load in my Apache2 that now reads,
          > > Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_09-dev Perl/v5.6.1 PHP/4.3.1
          > > Server
          >
          > That's good - it means the server started OK, and recognized
          > that mod_perl was present.
          >
          > > But when I try the examples it just keeps loading and loading and
          > > doing nothing.
          > >
          > > So since I don't know what is working and what is not working I
          could
          > > really use some guidance here.
          >
          > Unfortunately, this problem may be a more general one that
          > mod_perl 2 has when run with perl-5.6.1 (ActivePerl 6xx).
          > perl-5.8.0 (ActivePerl 8xx) has better threading support under
          > Win32 - is it possible to try that? I know that Apache::ASP under
          > ActivePerl 8xx and mod_perl 2 works.
          >
          > --
          > best regards,
          > randy kobes

        • jerry_emmett
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
            Here you can have a look,

            http://www.webfrontmarketing.com/asp_perl/eg/index.html

            http://www.webfrontmarketing.com/apache_log/
            http://www.webfrontmarketing.com/apache_conf/

            it definitely logs something, not sure what to make of it however

            Goodday,
            Jerry
            --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Randy Kobes <randy@t...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, jerry_emmett wrote:
            >
            > > First, I tried to install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN,
            didn't
            > > work out very well, I guess you're not supposed to use that in
            win32?

            > > Or am I supposed to install gzip, lynx, wget and make in WinXP?
            >
            > For installing things on Win32 using CPAN.pm, you'd need to just
            > get nmake (for ActivePerl) - unpacking archives can be done with
            > Compress::Zlib and Archive::Tar, and fetching files can be done
            > with Net::FTP and/or LWP, all of which are included in the
            > ActivePerl distribution.
            >
            > > Anw, I used ppm install apache-asp, through ActiveState Perl.
            That
            > > seemed to work. Not sure what it did though.
            > >
            > > So, mod_perl2 seems to load in my Apache2 that now reads,
            > > Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_09-dev Perl/v5.6.1 PHP/4.3.1
            > > Server
            >
            > That's good - it means the server started OK, and recognized
            > that mod_perl was present.
            >
            > > But when I try the examples it just keeps loading and loading and
            > > doing nothing.
            > >
            > > So since I don't know what is working and what is not working I
            could
            > > really use some guidance here.
            >
            > Unfortunately, this problem may be a more general one that
            > mod_perl 2 has when run with perl-5.6.1 (ActivePerl 6xx).
            > perl-5.8.0 (ActivePerl 8xx) has better threading support under
            > Win32 - is it possible to try that? I know that Apache::ASP under
            > ActivePerl 8xx and mod_perl 2 works.
            >
            > --
            > best regards,
            > randy kobes

          • jerry_emmett
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
              Oh yes! Stupid stupid stupid me, I looked at that file twice to see
              if there were any obvious errors.

              So all people that are as stupid as me : D you gotta change the
              #PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp_demo
              PerlSetVar StateDir "C:/www/temp"

              that currently resides in the .htaccess file

              Sincerely insincerely many thanks,
              Jerry Emmett