Re: Stress test Apache::ASP application.

  • Csongor Fagyal
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 17, 2003
      Richard Curtis wrote:

      > I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
      > developed in Apache::ASP.
      >
      > I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
      > which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
      > simulate this action over an over again.
      >
      > This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
      >
      > Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
      > thing, but work with an Apache web server.
      >
      > The M$ Application Center Test seems to also have functionality to
      > query the webserver as to how much CPU it is using... this is
      > obviously something specific to IIS/Windows, but it would be nice if
      > there is any alternative to this for us users who are running under
      > Apache on Linux.
      >
      > Anyone got any ideas ?

      There must be similar things. I have seen at least one similar app on
      sourceforge.net, but sorry, I cannot remember the name of the project.
      There might even be a CPAN module, at least something similar exists for
      sure. Probably these are harder to use than MACT, but at least they are
      free.

      - Cs.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 18, 2003
        Richard Curtis wrote:
        > I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
        > developed in Apache::ASP.
        >
        > I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
        > which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
        > simulate this action over an over again.
        >
        > This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
        > thing, but work with an Apache web server.

        The Roboweb project was meant to be a proxy capture replay testing method:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/roboweb/

        You might look into HTTP::WebTest on CPAN for another method.

        Personally, I find using ab ( ApacheBench ) to be normally adequate,
        but would use direct LWP scripting for something more advanced.
        LWP programming can easily enable the capture & reuse of cookies
        which can help when using ASP sessions.