Stress test Apache::ASP application.

  • Richard Curtis
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 17, 2003
      I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
      developed in Apache::ASP.

      I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
      which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
      simulate this action over an over again.

      This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.

      Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
      thing, but work with an Apache web server.

      The M$ Application Center Test seems to also have functionality to query
      the webserver as to how much CPU it is using... this is obviously
      something specific to IIS/Windows, but it would be nice if there is any
      alternative to this for us users who are running under Apache on Linux.

      Anyone got any ideas ?

      Richard

    • Csongor Fagyal
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2003
        Richard Curtis wrote:

        > I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
        > developed in Apache::ASP.
        >
        > I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
        > which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
        > simulate this action over an over again.
        >
        > This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
        > thing, but work with an Apache web server.
        >
        > The M$ Application Center Test seems to also have functionality to
        > query the webserver as to how much CPU it is using... this is
        > obviously something specific to IIS/Windows, but it would be nice if
        > there is any alternative to this for us users who are running under
        > Apache on Linux.
        >
        > Anyone got any ideas ?

        There must be similar things. I have seen at least one similar app on
        sourceforge.net, but sorry, I cannot remember the name of the project.
        There might even be a CPAN module, at least something similar exists for
        sure. Probably these are harder to use than MACT, but at least they are
        free.

        - Cs.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 18, 2003
          Richard Curtis wrote:
          > I am looking for a way to stress test my web app which has been
          > developed in Apache::ASP.
          >
          > I have seen an application called "Microsoft Application Center Test"
          > which can literally record a users actions in Internet Explorer, then
          > simulate this action over an over again.
          >
          > This application comes with .Net Enterprise Edition, so is not cheap.
          >
          > Does anyone know of any free / shareware apps that can do a similar
          > thing, but work with an Apache web server.

          The Roboweb project was meant to be a proxy capture replay testing method:

          http://sourceforge.net/projects/roboweb/

          You might look into HTTP::WebTest on CPAN for another method.

          Personally, I find using ab ( ApacheBench ) to be normally adequate,
          but would use direct LWP scripting for something more advanced.
          LWP programming can easily enable the capture & reuse of cookies
          which can help when using ASP sessions.