Re: Another stupid question...

  • Richard Curtis
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
      >> Following is a post which I hope will clarify what I have been doing
      >> up until now, along with some questions regarding the correct way to
      >> do this.
      >>
      >> Until now, I have always handled file uploads in the following way :
      >>
      >> draw in HTML "<input type="file" name="filename">".
      >>
      >> Then the form posts in on itself, and I use
      >>
      >> my $newFile = $Request->Form('filename');
      >> $newFile is then passed to a module which will basically do the
      >> following (along with a lot more):
      >>
      >> while ($rets=read($newFile,$line,1024)) { # Read in BINARY
      >> my @lin = $line;
      >> my $status = append_file($destination_path, $file,\@lin);
      >> if (!$status) {
      >> return(0,"error storing file on server ($!)");
      >> }
      >> @lin = ();
      >> }
      >>
      >> This has always worked for me.
      >> Now however, I need to not only upload the file to the server, but I
      >> need to store the filename in a database (among doing other things
      >> with the filename).
      >

      > When you say filename, I will assume you mean the file name client side
      > being uploaded...
      >
      >> So should I be doing :
      >> my $newFile = $Request->{FileUpload}{filename};
      >> $newFile = $newFile->{BrowserFile};
      >>

      > Right BrowserFile will give you the name of the file as it was uploaded.
      >
      >> ?
      >> If not, what should I be doing.
      >> What should I call to get handle, and what should I call to get the
      >> actual filename ?
      >>

      > Well, what you have been doing works fine for getting the file handle,
      > but you can also get it from;
      >
      > $Request->FileUpload('upload_file', 'FileHandle');
      >

      >> I am sooo confused !
      >

      > Originally, the file upload interface was only available through
      > doing it as you do with
      >
      > my $fh = $Request->Form('upload_file')
      >
      > but as users needed more of the file upload info, I created the
      > FileUpload collection to store more of the data. Originally
      > MS ASP did not have any native file upload support, so I had not
      > API to emulate here, and had to make it up as we went.

      I have one further query. If I do the following.. (where "filename" is
      the name of the file upload box on the html page) :

      my $newFileHandle = $Request->Form('filename');
      my $newFileName = $Request->FileUpload('filename','BrowserFile');

      Is that the correct syntax ?
      I mean it appear to work, but I still notice something slightly strange.
      If I print them both, they both show the same :

      my $newFileHandle = $Request->Form('filename');
      print "file handle: $newFileHandle <br>";
      my $newFileName = $Request->FileUpload('filename','BrowserFile');
      print "name: $newFileName <br>";

      ... this gives :
      file handle: points.doc
      name: points.doc

      If I print to Data::Dumper as follows :

      print Dumper $newFileHandle . "<br>";
      print Dumper $newFileName . "<br>";

      I get the following output....

      file handle: $VAR1 = bless( \*{'Fh::fh00003points.doc'}, 'Fh' );
      name: $VAR1 = bless( \*{'Fh::fh00003points.doc'}, 'Fh' );

      So, what is the difference.
      When I ask for "browserFile" from the FileUpload request object, why is
      it still a file handle ?

      Maybe I am just being incredibly stupid, but I dont see any difference
      to doing it this way, as to the way I was initially doing it.

      Richard

    • Tim Pushor
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
        Richard,

        I'm not quite sure why its doing what its doing. I have only done one
        real project with Apache::ASP that handles file uploads, but again, how
        I do it is:

        1) Make sure you do a PerlSetVar FileUploadTemp 1 in httpd.conf - this
        will ensure that Apache::ASP actually downloads the file for you and
        puts it into a temporary file. Otherwise you just get a filehandle to
        the file and have to read it and spool it to the file yourself (thats
        how I understood it anyway).

        2) Get the hash with a my $upload_file =
        $Request->{FileUpload}{upload_form_element};

        3) Get the name of the (temporary) file that Apache::ASP downloaded the
        file into: $filename=$upload_file->{TempFile};

        You can then move the file wherever you want. This method works great
        for me.

        Tim

        Richard Curtis wrote:
        <snip>

        > I have one further query. If I do the following.. (where "filename"
        > is the name of the file upload box on the html page) :
        >
        > my $newFileHandle = $Request->Form('filename');
        > my $newFileName = $Request->FileUpload('filename','BrowserFile');
        >
        > Is that the correct syntax ?
        > I mean it appear to work, but I still notice something slightly strange.
        > If I print them both, they both show the same :
        >
        > my $newFileHandle = $Request->Form('filename');
        > print "file handle: $newFileHandle <br>";
        > my $newFileName = $Request->FileUpload('filename','BrowserFile');
        > print "name: $newFileName <br>";
        >
        > ... this gives :
        > file handle: points.doc
        > name: points.doc
        >
        > If I print to Data::Dumper as follows :
        >
        > print Dumper $newFileHandle . "<br>";
        > print Dumper $newFileName . "<br>";
        >
        > I get the following output....
        >
        > file handle: $VAR1 = bless( \*{'Fh::fh00003points.doc'}, 'Fh' );
        > name: $VAR1 = bless( \*{'Fh::fh00003points.doc'}, 'Fh' );
        >
        > So, what is the difference.
        > When I ask for "browserFile" from the FileUpload request object, why
        > is it still a file handle ?
        >
        > Maybe I am just being incredibly stupid, but I dont see any difference
        > to doing it this way, as to the way I was initially doing it.
        >
        > Richard

      • Richard Curtis
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
          Thanks for your post. I have gone over all of my code, and changed it
          to exactly how you do it.
          I have set "PerlSetVar FileUploadTemp 1" and restarted apache.
          All pages which upload a file use:

          my $upload_file = $Request->{FileUpload}{filename};
          # "filename" is the name of the form item.
          my $newFileLocation = $upload_file->{TempFile};
          my $newFileName = $upload_file->{BrowserFile};

          This works fine, although I still have a problem.

          I build an array out of the filenames (taken from $newFileName) which is
          used to add entries for the files into a database.
          The problem is, when I use code such as :

          # this code is using perls DBI interface...
          $add_statement = $dbh->prepare("insert into submission_files
          values(default,'$last_ID',(?),(?),(?))");
          foreach my $file (@$files) {
          # execute
          $add_statement->execute($file,$fileDescriptions[$i],$signature);
          $i++;
          }

          The database dies with the following error:

          Can't bind a reference (Fh=GLOB(0x877e28c)) at
          /home/application/secure/perl/APP/Submissions/AddSubmission.pm line 168.
          <--> , /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 1489

          This shows that the filename returned by my "$newFileName =
          $upload_file->{BrowserFile};" is still actually a file glob.

          I can solve the problem by quoting $file in the
          $add_statement->execute() line, but I am sure this shouldnt be neccesary.

          It appears that the $upload_file->{BrowserFile}; is malfunctioning, or,
          (and more probably), that I am totally misunderstanding this.

          Richard

          > Richard,
          >
          > I'm not quite sure why its doing what its doing. I have only done one
          > real project with Apache::ASP that handles file uploads, but again, how
          > I do it is:
          >
          > 1) Make sure you do a PerlSetVar FileUploadTemp 1 in httpd.conf - this
          > will ensure that Apache::ASP actually downloads the file for you and
          > puts it into a temporary file. Otherwise you just get a filehandle to
          > the file and have to read it and spool it to the file yourself (thats
          > how I understood it anyway).
          >
          > 2) Get the hash with a my $upload_file =
          > $Request->{FileUpload}{upload_form_element};
          >
          > 3) Get the name of the (temporary) file that Apache::ASP downloaded the
          > file into: $filename=$upload_file->{TempFile};
          >
          > You can then move the file wherever you want. This method works great
          > for me.
          >
          > Tim
          <snip>

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
            Richard,

            I'm sorry, I too am stumped. Perhaps Josh can help shed some light..

            Tim

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
              Richard Curtis wrote:

              > This works fine, although I still have a problem.
              >
              > I build an array out of the filenames (taken from $newFileName) which is
              > used to add entries for the files into a database.
              > The problem is, when I use code such as :
              >
              > # this code is using perls DBI interface...
              > $add_statement = $dbh->prepare("insert into submission_files
              > values(default,'$last_ID',(?),(?),(?))");
              > foreach my $file (@$files) {
              > # execute
              > $add_statement->execute($file,$fileDescriptions[$i],$signature);
              > $i++;
              > }
              >
              > The database dies with the following error:
              >
              > Can't bind a reference (Fh=GLOB(0x877e28c)) at
              > /home/application/secure/perl/APP/Submissions/AddSubmission.pm line 168.
              > <--> , /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 1489

              Internally, its actually the same, but the intent is for
              BrowserFile to reflect just the filename, not be the file handle
              as well.

              The fix for this internally is to stringify BrowserFile too,
              as you suggest, and I will apply this fix for the 2.53 release.
              Let me know if you would like an early copy of this.

            • Richard Curtis
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 11, 2003
                > Richard Curtis wrote:
                >

                >> This works fine, although I still have a problem.
                >>
                >> I build an array out of the filenames (taken from $newFileName) which
                >> is used to add entries for the files into a database.
                >> The problem is, when I use code such as :
                >>
                >> # this code is using perls DBI interface...
                >> $add_statement = $dbh->prepare("insert into submission_files
                >> values(default,'$last_ID',(?),(?),(?))");
                >> foreach my $file (@$files) {
                >> # execute
                >> $add_statement->execute($file,$fileDescriptions[$i],$signature);
                >> $i++;
                >> }
                >>
                >> The database dies with the following error:
                >>
                >> Can't bind a reference (Fh=GLOB(0x877e28c)) at
                >> /home/application/secure/perl/APP/Submissions/AddSubmission.pm line
                >> 168. <--> , /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 1489
                >>

                > Internally, its actually the same, but the intent is for
                > BrowserFile to reflect just the filename, not be the file handle
                > as well.
                >
                > The fix for this internally is to stringify BrowserFile too,
                > as you suggest, and I will apply this fix for the 2.53 release.
                > Let me know if you would like an early copy of this.

                Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and confirm the issues.
                I have put a fix into my code to work around this so I dont think I will
                benefit from a pre-release copy.

                Thanks for all the hard work.

                Richard