Hi. I'm new and I have a few questions.

  • 98vr6 <ssvr6@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
      I glanced over the "archive" of emails and couldn't find what I was
      looking for. (At least not in the subject.)

      I'm a microsoft ASP developer. I just moved 2 personal sites over to
      a new host that only has Apache ASP (you can see where this is
      going). I've been to Apache-ASP.org and for some reason, I can't get
      any scripts to work.

      Here's what I want to do and I want to make sure that i'm doing this
      correctly. I'm doing a simple request from a querystring, asigning
      that value to a variable and then using that variable later on to
      determine what javascript include to use. (This will later be
      replaced with a database call, I just don't have the database created
      yet.)

      Anyway...here's what I started with.

      <%
      If Request("CAR") = "" Then
      sCar = ""
      Else
      sCar = Request("CAR")
      End If
      %>

      So, I tried this....

      <%
      If $Request->QueryString($car) = "" Then
      $sCar = ""
      Else
      $sCar = $Request->QueryString($car)
      End If
      %>

      Of course, this isn't working. I was reading about a global.asa file.
      Could someone explain this to me? I didn't get a really good
      understanding from what I read on the net.

      Thanks for your help!

      Steve

    • Tim Pushor
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
        Steve,

        I hate to say it, but you didn't look very hard in the archive. This
        question is asked repeatedly over and over ..

        ASP is an language agnostic object model. Apache::ASP uses mod_perl, and
        so far will not handle using vbscript. The ASP's must be written in perl.

        I believe there are commercial implementations of ASP for Unix that will
        handle vbscript. I havn't used them so can't comment further.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
          98vr6 wrote:
          > Anyway...here's what I started with.
          >
          > <%
          > If Request("CAR") = "" Then
          > sCar = ""
          > Else
          > sCar = Request("CAR")
          > End If
          > %>
          >
          > So, I tried this....
          >
          > <%
          > If $Request->QueryString($car) = "" Then
          > $sCar = ""
          > Else
          > $sCar = $Request->QueryString($car)
          > End If
          > %>

          This will end up looking like:

          <%
          my $car = $Request->QueryString("CAR");
          %>

          Perl does not have a problem with empty values, so you
          don't need to do the if/else around $Request->QueryString("CAR") eq ''
          if/else constructs in perl look like:

          if($conditional) {
          } else {

          You can get more info on this by doing a "perldoc perlsyn" from
          the unix command line. For more topics on perl, you can do "perldoc perl"
          and of course you might want to pick up a "Learning Perl" book.

          > Of course, this isn't working. I was reading about a global.asa file.
          > Could someone explain this to me? I didn't get a really good
          > understanding from what I read on the net.

          The global.asa is where you define ASP events like Session_OnStart

          Please also subscribe to the list if you will continue to post to it
          at asp-subscribe@..., otherwise I have to approve your posts
          to the list for each one you send.