433RE: "virtual urls"

  • Jim Helm
    Jun 1, 2002
      How about just making /lookup the page, instead of /lookup/index.asp.
      You'll have to make sure /lookup is executed as an asp page ( <Location
      /lookup> ... </Location> ), but once you have that, you can just get the
      rest from the pathinfo piece of the uri.

      Or you could just rename /lookup/index.asp to /lookup.asp and call it
      via /lookup.asp/event/1234. Slightly less "pretty" but functionally the
      same, and it saves having to create a Location directive in your config
      file.

      Jim

      http://any.com/lookup/index.asp?event=1234

      But I'd really like to be able to request it like this:

      http://any.com/lookup/event/1234

      I've seen what I call "virtual urls" like this here and there, eg
      amazon, and even got it going a couple years ago with perl/CGI.

      However, using Apache-ASP the last URL above just returns 404 not found,
      which sortof makes sense.

      Is there a directive to tell Apache to look backwards (or whatever) in
      the URL and resolve to use lookup/index.asp?

      I'm sure it can be done somehow, but I'm not sure... maybe a special
      <directory> directive?

      Any tips appreciated!

      Ellers