2315Re: Output character encoding

  • Arnon Weinberg
    Jun 5, 2012
      On 2012-06-05 14:13, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
      >> With my test cases (provided) I have carefully narrowed down the
      >> inconsistency to Apache::ASP, since everything else is either not
      >> applicable or the same.
      >>
      > Could you be a bit more specific on this ?

      Er, not sure how I can be more specific - the test cases are provided in
      my initial post
      (http://www.mail-archive.com/asp%40perl.apache.org/msg02662.html), they
      don't use a database, web server, or browser, so those can easily be
      eliminated as possible culprits. Ideally, the test cases should speak
      for themselves.

      > How does file handling come into play here ? Not that it's relevant but
      > it works quite the same way as outside of Apache::ASP.

      I'm afraid it doesn't, as the test cases clearly demonstrate. Note:
      It's not "file handling", it's PerlIO, which refers to all I/O,
      including STDOUT.

      > Have a look at Text::Iconv, iconv(1), iconv(3) and friends. Also, Encode.

      iconv converts text files, not Perl code - that still requires wetware
      as far as I know. Encode is being used in the test cases, and clearly
      messes things up in Apache::ASP.