2171Re: Apache::ASP with Worker MPM

  • Tom Haapanen
    Dec 5, 2006
      On 2006-12-05 08:15, Fagyal Csongor wrote:
      > Usually a webpage (at least in our case) consists of the main .asp
      > (.pet, etc.) file plus the additional stuff, like .js, .css and image
      > files. The ration is usually around 1:10 (of course that can vary a
      > lot). It is a huge benefit that these hits do not hit the heavyweight
      > mod_perl server. Also, the front proxy server can have keepalive
      > switched on, runs threaded, very lightweight, only using small memory
      > footprint as compared to the huge mod_perl server.
      > Also keep in mind that you will end up having a lot of mod_perl-ed
      > Apache instances running unnecessarily because of (realtively) slow
      > clients, which keep your Apache waiting. Again, this is a typicla
      > reverse proxy configuration.
      > Before we started to use this config, we always had memory problems,
      > having 200+ Apache instances running, which is an overkill. Now we can
      > serve dynamic hits with only 30 Apache1.3 instances, while having
      > somewhere around 400 Apache2.0 available connections.
      You are starting to convince me. : )

      Now there is some static content that I want to control access to -- but
      I presume that I can do that in the Apache2 front end, passing those
      requests to Apache1.3?

      The 15:1 connection:Apache1.3 process ratio is certainly very
      attractive. How many threads per process are you running on the Apache2
      front end?

      > Even though I do not know your application, I am pretty sure this
      > would be a possible alternative for you.
      > See this:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_proxy
      > There are many white pages and how-to-s on this subject around. I can
      > also give you an example httpd.conf snippet if you are interested.
      I'll do some reading, but sample reverse proxy httpd.conf would be much
      appreciated -- thanks.